Spyware & Viruses in Apps?

Dec 26, 2008
I'm loving all the apps, there are some very handy Free Apps too... but it just makes me wonder....

Questions -

1. How do you know if an app has Spyware (reporting stats & using your connection to send it to their server). I notice there are some apps which ask for your location but it's not nessesary for the app.
  2. Is the iPhone susceptible to viruses?
  3. Is there an app (paid or free) that will detect/clean spyware & viruses on the iPhone 3G?
Thanks in advance for your help and ideas/suggestions. :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The answer to 2 is no and overall there is nothing to worry about. Since the inception of the app store, I have heard of nothing that has effected the phone. Not to mention all the jailbreaking that goes on. If you were going to get spyware and/or virus, this would be the most likely place to get it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm loving all the apps, there are some very handy Free Apps too... but it just makes me wonder....

Questions -

1. How do you know if an app has Spyware (reporting stats & using your connection to send it to their server). I notice there are some apps which ask for your location but it's not nessesary for the app.
  2. Is the iPhone susceptible to viruses?
  3. Is there an app (paid or free) that will detect/clean spyware & viruses on the iPhone 3G?
Thanks in advance for your help and ideas/suggestions. :)
To answer your question. Apps in Apple's App Store go through a rigorous acceptance process. Anything could be possible but you can be 99.9% sure that they include no viruses or spyware. Apples Mac OS (which is downsized but on the iPhone) is not a big target for hackers. Just as a regular Mac computer is not all that susceptible to viruses nor is the iPhone.

As a footnote: Jailbreaking which to this point has been basically virus free (except for one problem early on) could create a problem for you. Jailbreaking is not Apple sanctioned and thereforee is only policed by the modding community itself. Mark

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, the iPhone IS definitely susceptible to viruses. Any OS is, and OSX is no different. It just hasn't been an issue yet. All of the appstore apps are safe due to their inspection and approval process, and also the restrictions placed on the software via the SDK.

Jailbreak apps have more freedom to alter the OS, and must be installed only after verifying they're legitimate and of good quality.