SquareTrade offers accidental protection

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Just checked up on squaretrade.com and they now offer ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) for Phones/PDA's. Sorry if this has already been posted -- I didn't see it. The ADP costs an additional $90 so $149.99 for a 3 year warranty including accidental damage :) Only con is that it doesn't cover against theft, so make sure not to lose it.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
REAL Insurance

I have mine insured by State Farm.

The policy covers everything that could possibly happen to the phone (except acts of God of course) including theft.

My premium is 42.00 a year.

jwall

Jul 4, 2007
I have mine insured by State Farm.

The policy covers everything that could possibly happen to the phone (except acts of God of course) including theft.

My premium is 42.00 a year.
Could you let me know how to get this insurance through statefarm?

thanks

J

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Just checked up on squaretrade.com and they now offer ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) for Phones/PDA's. Sorry if this has already been posted -- I didn't see it. The ADP costs an additional $90 so $149.99 for a 3 year warranty including accidental damage :) Only con is that it doesn't cover against theft, so make sure not to lose it.
Okay, just called squaretrade. They told me that they only offer a protection plan for the iPhone if you bought it online. If it came rom a retail store they DO NOT COVER THE PHONE.

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
I spoke with someone from squaretrade yesterday and she told me they don't offer insurance for the iPhone yet, and that it will be several months before they do. She said they have to work things out with Apple first and I had to email her my address so she could notify me when they cover the phone.

She also said the cost would be around $90 a year with a $50 deductible

It doesn't mention any specific product exclusions on their site. I just purchased a plan for my iPhone. I'll contact them just to make sure it's ok.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
NIPPYJUN: Read my post above. I changed it after you replied I guess. Call them because I think you are going to have to get a refund. If you break your phone, they are going to need a receipt. If they find it came from a retail store, they will not cover it.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
This seems like a good deal. I'm very tempted....

EDIT. I did it.
You just have to call your local State Farm agent and ask for it.

None of them know about it yet and they will have to call their underwriters and find out.

Tell them that it is a PAP policy (Personal Articles Policy).

They will insure the phone as long as it is worth $399.99 or more.

My policy is for $650.00 (replacement cost) no matter what happens to my phone (other than act of God). If I drop it, break it, drop it in the toilet or pool, run over it or even if it is stolen (lost).

My Premium is $42.00 a year but I've seen others say that their premiums are as low as $30.00. You can't beat it! Hope this helps.

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
NIPPYJUN: Read my post above. I changed it after you replied I guess. Call them because I think you are going to have to get a refund. If you break your phone, they are going to need a receipt. If they find it came from a retail store, they will not cover it.

I just called them and they said i'm covered with my purchase from the Apple store. I emailed them as well and will wait to see what they say.

Since i can't get a policy for the phone through my homeowners policy (liberty mutual) then this is all i can get. I can get a refund too if for some reason they say i'm not covered but they just said i am. I had to get this by the 11th.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
I just called them and they said i'm covered with my purchase from the Apple store. I emailed them as well and will wait to see what they say.

Since i can't get a policy for the phone through my homeowners policy (liberty mutual) then this is all i can get. I can get a refund too if for some reason they say i'm not covered but they just said i am. I had to get this by the 11th.
Could you PLEASE tell me who you spoke with? I need coverage but they turned me down! I would love for SOMEONE there to get me insured!

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
Could you PLEASE tell me who you spoke with? I need coverage but they turned me down! I would love for SOMEONE there to get me insured!

I purchased it online and then called to check my coverage. The guy, i can't remember his name, asked for my serial number to keep on file. He also said that if i have a problem and i take it to the Apple store for warranty service and Apple exchanges the phone with another one i can continue with the policy or end it and get a refund for the time remaining and get a new one from the date of the exchange.

I haven't heard back by email yet to get a confirmation on this.

When you order the warranty online you start by clicking to say that you purchased online or at a store. When you click "at a store" you eventually just choose "Apple Store".... it asks for the brand but does not list Apple as a brand but you can choose other in the list.

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] This is what they emailed back to me:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']"We appreciate your interest in SquareTrade's Accidental Damage Protection coverage, "ADP" for short, and the simple answer is yes, a Care Plan with ADP is available for any iPhone bought new with a 90+ day factory warranty. "[/FONT]

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Well, I just spoke with yet another agent from Square Trade who told me they DO cover the iPhone AND have accidental damage coverage. However, when I try to buy it on their site, there is no option for the additional accidental damage coverage, even all they way through check out. If anyone has a link for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
Where did you see the option for accidental damage?

When you click on "get a product care plan" the next page has a check box for the adp. If you purchased your phone more then 30 days ago it may be the reason for not having the check box.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
When you click on "get a product care plan" the next page has a check box for the adp. If you purchased your phone more then 30 days ago it may be the reason for not having the check box.
CRAP! That was it! I changed the date ofpurchase to see what would happen, and the box was there. DAMNIT! I bought my phone on July 2nd, I guess I am NOT elegible for the accidental damage coverage (the ONLY reason I would buy coverage at all).

Thank you for your help though!

To all you who are under 30 days from date of purchase, this WILL work for you. Those of us who bought at launch time are screwed!

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
and how come on the checkout page there is no box to check whether i have an iPhone or not? do they even know i am getting a careplan for the iPhone? does anyone know?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I guess I should have read the first post more carefuly, else I would never have even bothered to check out the Website.

Unless I am missing something this plan is $60 for essentially a warranty extension to 3 years (seems fair). But adding ADP adds another $90--bringing the cost to about 1/4 the price of an iPhone itself.

But if I wanted to use ADP there would be a $50 deductible too--making it nearly 1/3 the cost of the iPhone. Color me a risk taker but for $190 I ain't buying!

I live in AZ and will see what I can do with my HO's policy. I can see paying $50 or so per year. I doubt I'll have this iPhone for much more than a year anyway. While I realize I could get a refund from Square Deal I don't like having to do that.

IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

--
Mike