SSH App...

iPhonematic

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Where can I find SSH app in the installer ?

Thanks

iPhonematic

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
is there anything else that i'm missing or need to install ?

iPhonematic

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
No I don't have Community Sources added how will I find that ?

iPhonematic

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Ok...I'm sorry I do have Community Sources with both of those listed underneath.....do I need to reinstall them ?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ok...I'm sorry I do have Community Sources with both of those listed underneath.....do I need to reinstall them ?
It's been a long while since I installed it, but I just looked and it seems it comes from Ste Packaging. So yes, maybe try ensuring your Installer version doesn't need updating and then maybe remove and re-add that source ...

iPhonematic

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Ok..I found OpenSSH installed it, it said wait 30-35 seconds for it to log in....did that but no icon shows up on my homescreen I see the status circle when it was 1st installed but nothing after that...I trying to access my PSX,NES, and GBA to add ROMS using WinSCP...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
OpenSSH does not have an icon that shows on your home screen. You might want to look at an app like 'Services' which lets you toggle SSH on and off very easily, as having it on continually is a battery drain ...

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
Ive got SSH on my iPhone but I don't know what it is for? can someone please explaine to me what it is for?
Thanks

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Ive got SSH on my iPhone but I don't know what it is for? can someone please explaine to me what it is for?
Thanks

You can download apps into your phone. But ssh is a real battery drainer. You can turn it off and on if you have Netservices.

greenenvy

Dec 30, 2007
Don't worry if you have OpenSSH...

The creator of this particular app has creating something similar to what MacBooks have which activates SSH only when needed. It doens't have the battery drain concerns that other apps do.

This is from Ste's site:
QUESTION: Will this kill my battery?

ANSWER: No. Unlike other ssh packages for the iPhone, this package does not have a constantly running daemon. It is simply added to the list of connections that the inetd daemon (which always runs on your iPhone) listens for. If it sees you trying to connect, it will start up sshd to handle it. When you disconnect, the sshd process goes away. This is exactly how it runs on Apple laptops. So, no, this package will not kill your battery if left turned on because, in truth, there is nothing actually running. My package is the only one that can claim this, to the best of my knowledge.

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
You can download apps into your phone. But ssh is a real battery drainer. You can turn it off and on if you have Netservices.
I thought you used installer to download apps, thats what I have been using?

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
So I guess the SHH app is just a program that runs in the background to help install a program when you select it in installer?