SSH from iPhone to work

itcdr

Dec 2, 2007
In case of a problem while I'm out I want to be able to SSH from my iPhone to a server at work

Anyone know of a web app to do this or is it possible to enable it on the iPhone?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
In case of a problem while I'm out I want to be able to SSH from my iPhone to a server at work

Anyone know of a web app to do this or is it possible to enable it on the iPhone?
There's an application Term-VT100 that's what you're looking for - it's there in the installer list.

It works, ok - but what with the iPhone keyboard it's a last-resort emergency capability that's good for simple commands on the path - reboot, killall xxxxx - , that sort of thing. It won't handle ncurses-based applications. But it sort of does what you might need in an emergency while playing golf.

You need a jailbroken phone to install it of course

itcdr

Dec 2, 2007
thanks. I started the jailbreak process using iBrickr, but it says I need to downgrade from firmware 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 to continue. what do I lose by doing this? Can it mess up my iPhone?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
thanks. I started the jailbreak process using iBrickr, but it says I need to downgrade from firmware 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 to continue. what do I lose by doing this? Can it mess up my iPhone?
I wouldn't go down to 1.0.2 if you just want to jailbreak a 1.1.1.

Just visit http://www.jailbreakme.com on a wifi connection - scroll down to the bottom of the page and click - install AppSnapp.

When that's all finished (your phone will do stuff and reboot) you'll see a new icon on the phone - install BSD subsystem from the installer, and then the Term-VT100

itcdr

Dec 2, 2007
thanks so much! I had to also install BSD and openSSH from the installer, but now it works

you're right, not exactly convienient with the iPhone keyboard, but if I have no other way to get Internet this could really help in a jam in case of a problem with our servers (ie: reboot, restarting services, blocking ip's, ...)