SSH Help

BBGT2

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Guys,

I have been looking and even googled it but cant seem to find any help as far as how to do the thing where I can SSH or whatever you call it from my PC to the iPhone installer. Sorry for the dumb question as I am sure this is easy for the most of you guys.
So if someone can either point me to a link that helps with that or send me a PM as to how to install/perform these functions I would be very thankful.

TIA :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Here's a how-to I did at my site recently on this:

Requirements:

A jailbroken iPhone. For this guide we will assume you are running the current latest iPhone firmware, Version 1.1.4.
An SSH program on your computer. A couple of good free options are WinSCP for a Windows PC, and Cyberduck for a Mac.
The BSD Subsystem installed on your iPhone. You’ll find this under the System category in Installer.
OpenSSH (or another SSH variant) installed on your iPhone. This is also found under the System Category in Installer.
iPhone and computer need to be on the same (usually wireless) network. For the sake of this guide, we’ll assume both are on a home wireless network.
An ability to turn SSH On and Off on the iPhone. SSH programs on the iPhone do not create an icon on the home screen, so one of the easiest ways to do this is to use the BossPrefs application on the iPhone (to install it you’ll need to add the BigBoss source to Installer - which is http://sleepers.net/iPhonerepo). There are other iPhone applications that do this as well, but BossPrefs is currenty the best of these in my view.

Steps:
  • Make a note of your iPhone’s IP address. To find this, on your iPhone go to Settings > WiFi and tap on the blue arrow to the right of the name of your home network. On the screen that comes up, note the set of numbers listed in the IP Address field.
  • Turn SSH On, on the iPhone. With BossPrefs and other similar applications, this is just a matter of tapping on the SSH entry to toggle it on and off. Please Note: it is good idea to make sure you toggle SSH back off when you are through using it.
  • Launch your SSH app on your computer. WinSCP will land you on a new ‘Session’ screen straight away. On Cyberduck, you’ll need to choose ‘Open New Connection’. See screencaps at the top of this post and below for a look at how these screens appear. Then you need to fill in a few fields to specify how you want to connect and what device you want to connect to. The fields are named slightly differently depending on which program you use, but they are similar enough that you should be able to fill them in as follows:
    Hostname or Server = enter your iPhone’s IP address in this field
    File Protocol = should be SCP on WinSCP and SFTP on Cyberduck
    Username = enter ‘root’ (without the quotes) in this field
    Password = enter ‘alpine’ in this field (without the quotes) or whatever you have changed root’s password to, if you have ever changed it.
  • Once you have entered the information as above, hit ‘Login’ on WinSCP or ‘Connect’ on Cyberduck. It may take up to 30 seconds or so to connect.
  • You will see a confirmation message asking if you will accept key exchange / connection with the device with the iPhone’s address. You’ll need to say Yes or Allow on these.
Once connected, you are presented with an Explorer-like view of the file system on the iPhone, or of the iPhone and your own computer. Once there, you can copy files and folders back and forth between the computer and iPhone.

BBGT2

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Patrick,

Thank you very, very, much. This site rocks !

Bajo

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
did you get into your iPhone yet using that? let us know..it takes a few tries for all of us..and setting that timeout to over 60 helps as well. good luck. another way to do it is to use iPhone browser. i use both.

BBGT2

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
did you get into your iPhone yet using that? let us know..it takes a few tries for all of us..and setting that timeout to over 60 helps as well. good luck. another way to do it is to use iPhone browser. i use both.
Gonna attempt it tonite, will report back.

BBGT2

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Did it ! Now I got to read up what to do with it all ! LOL

Thanks again Patrick.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Whoa patrick... way helpful there, extremely thorough. Should be a sticky.

This place gives me goosebumps with the generosities.... go EIC!

My contribution: I turn off auto-lock in the settings:general section so that I don't drop my WIFI while connected via SSH. It's annoying if you don't do that.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Whoa patrick... way helpful there, extremely thorough. Should be a sticky.

This place gives me goosebumps with the generosities.... go EIC!

My contribution: I turn off auto-lock in the settings:general section so that I don't drop my WIFI while connected via SSH. It's annoying if you don't do that.
Thanks for the kind words. And good contribution - it is annoying when the connection drops ...

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
Thanks for the kind words. And good contribution - it is annoying when the connection drops ...
After doing all the steps properly ...i am still facing the same proble
connection refused.

tell me guys wat to do?
sarb

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
Did it ! Now I got to read up what to do with it all ! LOL

Thanks again Patrick.

connection refused.
please help me

BBGT2

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
connection refused.
please help me

I wish I could, I am using PcSuite for iPhone much easier for me than SSH.
Search around more this site has it all.

Good luck

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
SSH WinSCp Problem Solved.

Is your phone properly jailbroken? You have Installer on there and can, and have, installed OpenSSH on the phone?

Solution is as follows:-

Install BSD, OpenSSh on yours iPhone
install ZiPhone ibrickr fix:-- it will jailbreak urs iPhone properly.

From windows box use "putty" or "Winscp" to connect.
WinSCP:- Click on advanced option and then connection
change the server responce timeout time to 40-45 sec.
click on session & save it. Enter IP address which you are getting from yours Wifi.
username :-root, Password:-alpine For 1.1.4
For Earlier version its "dottie"

Enjoy:)
Working for me

sarb

thefridge

Jan 1, 2009
thanks for all the help but i can't find the location of the original .caf files or message tones..

Any help

mmauldin

Feb 2, 2009
PatrickJ, You stated "Here's a how-to I did at my site recently on this:

Requirements:

A jailbroken iPhone. For this guide we will assume you are running the current latest iPhone firmware, Version 1.1.4. "

I have the new 3g (2 days now) and my version is 2.28. Any changes to the process to the Jailbroken process and process of changing alert tones?

Thanks,
Miles