SSH on a 3GS

Jmills

Sep 2, 2009
Hey guys,

Was trying to get SSH working on my iPhone but I am running into some problems. I installed SSH using Cydia and I got my IP(192.168.1.10) from the wifi section under settings and entered it into WinSCP on port 22 with the username root and password alpine and changed Network error: connection timed out file protocol to SCP but when I click connect I just get a white screen for a while and after about 20 seconds it says:

Network error: connection timed out

I also noticed that even though my iPhone shows me being connected to my home network and I can browse just fine, it's not showing up in my router configuration panel under "attached devices" which I found a bit odd.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
You shouldnt put your ip address up on forums:eek:k:eek:k

Have you got Automatic SSH and Toggle SSH installed through Cydia?

Then Enabled SSH through the Toggle SSH App?

Jmills

Sep 2, 2009
.....it's my private IP, why would it matter if anyone had that?

You did solve my problem too. Thank you

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm hacking into your root 192.168.1.1 right now and I'm going to reset your wifi password!

Oh wait, that's mine.

:)

Jmills

Sep 2, 2009
GuessWhosBack,

I eventually got SSH working by doing a fresh restore with the 3.0 firmware, however, if you are looking for an easier solution I would suggest downloading iPhoneBrowser. It is a free PC application that gives you complete control of your iPhone's filesystem. It is basically the same thing as SSH except it uses the USB connection so it is far more reliable and easier to use. Just navigate to whatever folder you want and drag and drop your downloaded files. Let me know if you have any questions.