SSH on iPhone

Decibel9M3

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/23/ssh-on-iphone

"Over at the #iPhone channel at irc.osx86.hu, the thoroughly awesome NerveGas has figured out how to enable ssh on the iPhone without using restore mode. The secret lies in overwriting an existing binary and plist to trick the iPhone into calling chmod on the Dropbear ssh server and making it executable.
At this time, NerveGas has used Nightwatch's compiler to create iphone-compatible versions of curl and ps as well as a number of other useful Unix utilities. (He's working on grep, as I write).
So what does this mean? Well, once you've got ssh installed on your iPhone and active, you can access your iPhone from a shell on your Mac. You can send and retrieve files using scp or sftp. And you can use the compilation toolchain to build other Unix utils or even your own software. It's just a short matter of time until perl and other command-line utilities are iphone-ready."

Good News!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/23/ssh-on-iphone

"Over at the #iPhone channel at irc.osx86.hu, the thoroughly awesome NerveGas has figured out how to enable ssh on the iPhone without using restore mode. The secret lies in overwriting an existing binary and plist to trick the iPhone into calling chmod on the Dropbear ssh server and making it executable.
At this time, NerveGas has used Nightwatch's compiler to create iphone-compatible versions of curl and ps as well as a number of other useful Unix utilities. (He's working on grep, as I write).
So what does this mean? Well, once you've got ssh installed on your iPhone and active, you can access your iPhone from a shell on your Mac. You can send and retrieve files using scp or sftp. And you can use the compilation toolchain to build other Unix utils or even your own software. It's just a short matter of time until perl and other command-line utilities are iphone-ready."

Good News!
Very cool! The only bummer is this is ssh into the iPhone. I was hoping to use the iPhone to ssh out, using the iPhone's keyboard, to other systems.

Waiting for him to get "uptime" working on the iPhone. ;)