SSH using WinSCP

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Can anyone talk me through the method of how to get my iPhone connected via SSH through WinSCP. I need to replace a file in one of my directories but have never done this before. Have looked at the app but doesn't mean much to me to be honest :sick:

Thanks in advance

Gav

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Here's some steps:

-- Install OpenSSH on your iPhone if you haven't already - it's under System category in Installer - it requires that you have BSD Subsystem installed first (also under System)
-- It's a good idea to keep SSH running on the iPhone only when needed - so you may want to look at an app like Services which helps you toggle it on/off easily
-- Once you have SSH running on the iPhone, you'll want to make a note of your iPhone's IP address - you'll need this to connect to it - go to Settings > WiFi, and click on the network you're connected to - that should list your IP address for you - something like 192.168.1.x or similar depending on your network's addressing scheme
-- Then launch WinSCP on your computer
-- In the Host Name field fill in the IP address of your iPhone
-- Leave the port as 22
-- Fill in username as 'root' (without the quotes) and either 'alpine' or 'dottie' as the password depending on your firmware version
Set the File Protocol (drop down) to SCP - and hit Login
If you're prompted about the server's host key not being in the cache file, just click Yes - and you should be connected ...

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Here's some steps:

-- Install OpenSSH on your iPhone if you haven't already - it's under System category in Installer - it requires that you have BSD Subsystem installed first (also under System)
-- It's a good idea to keep SSH running on the iPhone only when needed - so you may want to look at an app like Services which helps you toggle it on/off easily
-- Once you have SSH running on the iPhone, you'll want to make a note of your iPhone's IP address - you'll need this to connect to it - go to Settings > WiFi, and click on the network you're connected to - that should list your IP address for you - something like 192.168.1.x or similar depending on your network's addressing scheme
-- Leave the port as 22
-- Fill in username as 'root' (without the quotes) and either 'alpine' or 'dottie' as the password depending on your firmware version
If you're prompted about the server's host key not being in the cache file, just click Yes - and you should be connected ...
Thats brilliant, but its asking for a session password to authenticate access. Any ideas ?

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Ok got that now ... it was 'dottie' to login but 'alpine' to authenticate. I'm in now but cant find the folder I'm looking for !

Where's the frameworks folder ?

Gav

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Ignore me ! ... couldnt see it for looking. Very impressive that & very useful too.

Thanks very much for your help ! :laugh2:

Gav

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ok got that now ... it was 'dottie' to login but 'alpine' to authenticate. I'm in now but cant find the folder I'm looking for !

Where's the frameworks folder ?

Gav
Under /Library directory on my iPhone - but not sure exactly what you're looking for ...

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Ok, I'm opening this thread again as I can no longer SSH into my iPhone with the settings mentioned above.

I've since changed to 1.1.4 so does anyone know the new SSH settings ? Thanks.

Gavo

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ok, I'm opening this thread again as I can no longer SSH into my iPhone with the settings mentioned above.

I've since changed to 1.1.4 so does anyone know the new SSH settings ? Thanks.

Gavo
Settings are as described above for 1.1.4. Same methods, same username and password ...

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Hmm, thats strange then because I cant login to my phone with those settings. :eek:

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If you are on a windows machine just download iPhoneBrowser. It is not as powerful as WinSCP but it allows connections to the phone through the USB cable without an IP Address being needed and there is no authentication involved. You just connect the phone and launch the program. It displays the phones directory like Windows Explorer shows your hard drives directories with the directory list on the left and the files within each in the right frame. It is available here:

http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Thanks that'll be really usefull as I have Windows & Mac machines that I use different things on.

Cheers all :laugh2:

Gavo

i-Mazing

Aug 27, 2008
Here's some steps:

-- Leave the port as 22
sorry im a complete newb...

(I have Winscp but not installed it yet, im just trying to understand the process of changing text alert noises on the iPhone before i begin),

I have read that i need to use winscp to ssh the sound files onto the iPhone, and i understand i need the openssh program on the phone, but thats where im stuck.

what is the 'installer' that you mentioned that contains a category called system? where is this? on the phone?

I have been to the openssh website but cant really see what im after.

Does my iPhone have to be jailbroken before i can do any of this?

thanks.

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
yes, in oreder to install ssh on yourn phone it has to be jailbroken and installer or cydia, it`s like the appstore. you get 3rd party applications from there after you jailbroke your phone

i-Mazing

Aug 27, 2008
ah ok, thanks a lot, so is there no way to change the text alert noises to custom ones without jailbreaking the iPhone? will i not be able to use the winscp method?

thanks for the quick reply.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
My file strings area starting with "private" any thoughts?