SSH?

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Hey again guys. Finally jailbroke my phone! Anyways, I really want new themes and NES games, but everytime I search, something about SSH pops up. Can anyone explain the basics or a link to a tutorial, please? Thanks a lot guys.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
The basics:
  • SSH is a service that you can install and run on the iPhone that allows you to access the phone's files / folders from your PC or Mac
  • You need to install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH (in that order) from under the System category in Installer in order to be able to use it
  • OpenSSH does not present you with a home screen icon or any easy way to toggle the service On and Off - for that you'll want to install an app like Services
  • Once it's installed and you toggle it On, you can use an app like WinSCP or Putty on a PC to run a remote session to the iPhone and transfer files back and forth to it - on a Mac I'm not too familiar with the equivalent apps - Cyberduck I think is one that gets mentioned here a lot
That should be a start for you - you can come back and ask if you want help setting up a session ...

m3sport

Feb 16, 2008
Oh, and sorry for not clarifying, I'm on a mac. How do things change now? Sorry, haha. :sick:
One way:

Use Cyberduck FTP and connect to your iPhone:

Protocol: SFTP
Server: iPhones IP address
User name: root
Password: alpine

Another way:

Install AFPd on your iPhone using the installer. Reboot the phone. Next click on your desktop and go to the "Go" tab up top. Then click "Connect to server". enter in your IP address:

afp://your.ip.address

Connect

HTH

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
The basics:
  • SSH is a service that you can install and run on the iPhone that allows you to access the phone's files / folders from your PC or Mac
  • You need to install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH (in that order) from under the System category in Installer in order to be able to use it
  • OpenSSH does not present you with a home screen icon or any easy way to toggle the service On and Off - for that you'll want to install an app like Services
  • Once it's installed and you toggle it On, you can use an app like WinSCP or Putty on a PC to run a remote session to the iPhone and transfer files back and forth to it - on a Mac I'm not too familiar with the equivalent apps - Cyberduck I think is one that gets mentioned here a lot
That should be a start for you - you can come back and ask if you want help setting up a session ...
So in other words I cannot do this solely from my iPhone? I installed BSD, and OpenSSH, but I gave up because I could never get SummerBoard to work. I wish there was a post somewhere that would lead me step by step through this process. When I do a search, I get bits and pieces of information, quit confusing.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
One way:

Use Cyberduck FTP and connect to your iPhone:

Protocol: SFTP
Server: iPhones IP address
User name: root
Password: alpine

Another way:

Install AFPd on your iPhone using the installer. Reboot the phone. Next click on your desktop and go to the "Go" tab up top. Then click "Connect to server". enter in your IP address:

afp://your.ip.address

Connect

HTH
Okay M3, I'm trying this again. Now I've got the files for the iPhone in front of me via Cyberduck, what do I do with them?

Thanks,

m3sport

Feb 16, 2008
Okay M3, I'm trying this again. Now I've got the files for the iPhone in front of me via Cyberduck, what do I do with them?

Thanks,
I just copied this from the install file with the app:

MANUAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

NOTE: You do not need to patch the SpringBoard if you are using SummerBoard.

Copy the files to your iPhone as follows:

SummerBoard.framework -> /Library/Frameworks/SummerBoard.framework
SMBPrefs.app -> /Applications/SMBPrefs.app
Themes -> /var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes
com.apple.SpringBoard.plist -> /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist

Make sure that the plists permissions are as such:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 704 Oct 9 20:00 com.apple.SpringBoard.plist

Reboot iPhone, enjoy!

FYI
To set permissions, in cyberduck, right click on the file and select "INFO". You will see a bunch boxes with check marks. Make sure by checking and unchecking them that it matches 704

HTH

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I just copied this from the install file with the app:

MANUAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

NOTE: You do not need to patch the SpringBoard if you are using SummerBoard.

Copy the files to your iPhone as follows:

SummerBoard.framework -> /Library/Frameworks/SummerBoard.framework
SMBPrefs.app -> /Applications/SMBPrefs.app
Themes -> /var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes
com.apple.SpringBoard.plist -> /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist

Make sure that the plists permissions are as such:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 704 Oct 9 20:00 com.apple.SpringBoard.plist

Reboot iPhone, enjoy!

FYI
To set permissions, in cyberduck, right click on the file and select "INFO". You will see a bunch boxes with check marks. Make sure by checking and unchecking them that it matches 704

HTH
Okay M3, but where do I get the files. When I go to /private/var/root/Library, Frameworks is not there, not in the path? It contains only Installer, Lockdown, and References, nothing like you have it above.

How come everybody else is able to to this from just their phones?

Man!

Thanks though, I know what you mean regarding the BMWs, I have a 330i, not as fast as yours.

Later,
Mike

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
I uploaded these ROMs but it's not working. I'm guessing it's the permission. What's the permission for NES ROMs? Thanks guys, again. I need a fast reply!

THEHNIC

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
CA
Where would I find the app Services ?

The basics: