SSH

HotCell43

Jun 13, 2008
So I just decided to SSH my iPhone so i could put in .ipa apps.
So after putting a new MobileInstaller into my iPhone directory, I turned off my iPhone and turn it back on again. Now the problem is, the iPhone wont proceed other than being stuck on the Apple screen. Help please..

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
I don't particularly know what the problem maybe..

It might be a faulty installation or copying.

If iTunes still detects your iPhone, Just give it a quick restore.

HotCell43

Jun 13, 2008
It must be something faulty. yes iTunes does recognize it, everytime i want to do a restore though, It'll say that my iPhone is disconnected.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Discussion of installing cracked apps on this board is not allowed.

Put your iPhone in DFU mode and restore.

dsegel

Aug 13, 2008
You don't even need the MobileInstaller file if you have ssh access anyway, do you? Just scp the .ipa file into the right directory, change permissions and reboot the phone and you should be able to run it.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
Can someone please tell me how to SSH onto my iPhone...do i need to download something on my PC and SSH to it while connected or can I just install something on the phone...i want to modify a file.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
Here's what i'm trying to do...i downloaded Active Weather Wallpaper on Cydia...i have to SSH and change the configureme.js file to add my zip code. I'm having 2 issues.

1) I can't find the file.
2) I don't know what program to use to SSH and actually edit the file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Can someone please tell me how to SSH onto my iPhone...do i need to download something on my PC and SSH to it while connected or can I just install something on the phone...i want to modify a file.
First off, make sure you have OpenSSH installed via Cydia. Once that is installed, turn SSH on (it should be on by default once you install it, but you can use SBSettings to toggle it), download WinSCP if you're on Windows. Here is the iClarified tutorial for all this: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3221

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
First off, make sure you have OpenSSH installed via Cydia. Once that is installed, turn SSH on (it should be on by default once you install it, but you can use SBSettings to toggle it), download WinSCP if you're on Windows. Here is the iClarified tutorial for all this: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3221

I actually just figured it out...i couldn't find where openssh was going...after i found it was good to go...thanks!

M

mafia_001

Anyone know how to SSH? And im currently on 4.1 jailbroken with limera1n. iPod touch 3G.

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
Redmondpie.com has great walkthroughs you might find handy. Also, if you're asking about SSH to install themes (I noticed you mentioned it to Europa in the iPhone 4 screenshot thread), you can actually bypass SSH and just use iFile to install themes, that way you can do it right from your phone. No need to SSH via a computer!

M

mafia_001

Redmondpie.com has great walkthroughs you might find handy. Also, if you're asking about SSH to install themes (I noticed you mentioned it to Europa in the iPhone 4 screenshot thread), you can actually bypass SSH and just use iFile to install themes, that way you can do it right from your phone. No need to SSH via a computer!
How to do this? And im on iPod 3G

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
How to do this? And im on iPod 3G
It would take lots of time to give you a walkthrough here, but luckily the folks at redmondpie.com have all the SSH and iFile how-to's you could want. Also, remember: Google is your friend, as is the search function on this forum. I'd say roughly 80% of what I've learned about my
iPhone has been through those two sources.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Use this guide for Windows using WinSCP.
Use this guide for Mac using Cyberduck.

SSH'ing is very easy after you've done it once or twice, you will realise that it's not as scary as it seems. I cannot stress enough about being careful, you need to watch what you move, delete or overwrite. If you screw it up, you are going to need to restore the phone and start again.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mafia_001

Use this guide for Windows using WinSCP.
Use this guide for Mac using Cyberduck.

SSH'ing is very easy after you've done it once or twice, you will realise that it's not as scary as it seems. I cannot stress enough about being careful, you need to watch what you move, delete or overwrite. If you screw it up, you are going to need to restore the phone and start again.
Ok tx bro....

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mafia_001

Btw how to ssh using winSCP. Wats the difference with openSSH?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Btw how to ssh using winSCP. Wats the difference with openSSH?
WinSCP is a program you download to your PC that allows you to SSH into your device. OpenSSH is an "app" you install on your device through Cydia that allows a program like winSCP to SSH into it.

Once you have openSSH running on your device you can run winSCP on your PC to view and edit the devices file system.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

M

mafia_001

WinSCP is a program you download to your PC that allows you to SSH into your device. OpenSSH is an "app" you install on your device through Cydia that allows a program like winSCP to SSH into it.

Once you have openSSH running on your device you can run winSCP on your PC to view and edit the devices file system.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe
Oh now i understand. But sorry im quite a noob. How to use winSCP if u have a video on the guide to SSH please POST.