SSN required for iPhone activation

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

xfiver

Jun 26, 2007
Hello,

I just noticed on the syn&activation video that you need to have a SSN for activation. Since I'm a foreign student in the US, I have no SSN nor any credit history. Does that mean I cannot purchase the iPhone? Or what other way is there to get the iPhone?

When you but the iPhone in stores, do they require a credit (history) check?

Thanks in advance.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hello,

I just noticed on the syn&activation video that you need to have a SSN for activation. Since I'm a foreign student in the US, I have no SSN nor any credit history. Does that mean I cannot purchase the iPhone? Or what other way is there to get the iPhone?

When you but the iPhone in stores, do they require a credit (history) check?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to EI.

Yes. All new activations in stores require a social security number and a credit check. I guess you've only used pre-paid cell phones up to now.

xfiver

Jun 26, 2007
Welcome to EI.

Yes. All new activations in stores require a social security number and a credit check. I guess you've only used pre-paid cell phones up to now.
Yes, I have used only pre-paid programs so far. I guess the only way to work around this is someone else has to get my AT&T subscription like a family member.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yes, I have used only pre-paid programs so far. I guess the only way to work around this is someone else has to get my AT&T subscription like a family member.
Yep. Someone with a social security number that is over 18 years old. That's a requirement to do the credit check and to sign the contract.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
tfg I don't think so. As for the OP call up AT&T and see what they have to say. Have you ever had a cell phone before? They may just let you pay a deposit.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
tfg I don't think so. As for the OP call up AT&T and see what they have to say. Have you ever had a cell phone before? They may just let you pay a deposit.
Yeah, I've actually had my cell phone number for 10 years today, but I'm only on as another line of a family plan. My ssn wasn't used to set up the plan.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
No new credit check is required if you are an existing ATT customer. that is just for the new subscribers.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
He said he's never had anything but a pre-paid. He can't get the phone without a SS#. He has to have that for a credit check.

Diviant

Jun 21, 2007
Ok, here's how it's been suspected to happen:

You can have a credit check run in-store if you choose to sign up there. Once done, they will give you a serial number to put into iTunes for activation. If you opt not to sign up in-store, you can go home and go through the whole process via iTunes (this includes creating a new account for your first-time AT&T people), which will require your SSN# to run a credit check before confirming your contract.

james948

Jun 26, 2007
That sounds right. I'm in the same position too. Foreign student studying in the US.So I suppose, my question is, can I just pop into an Apple store and buy an iPhone over the counter without so much as giving my name?
Then can I go to an AT&T store and see what we can do about my credit check and deposit?

Also, and slightly more pressing, is I don't have a credit card in the states. Can I use a pre-paid one? Or will they know it's prepaid....?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That sounds right. I'm in the same position too. Foreign student studying in the US.So I suppose, my question is, can I just pop into an Apple store and buy an iPhone over the counter without so much as giving my name?
Then can I go to an AT&T store and see what we can do about my credit check and deposit?

Also, and slightly more pressing, is I don't have a credit card in the states. Can I use a pre-paid one? Or will they know it's prepaid....?
What does your credit card have to do with it? They're not gonna ask you for your credit card to do the credit check. They'll want a SS# to do the credit check. If you don't have one you'll have to get someone that does have one.

james948

Jun 26, 2007
What does your credit card have to do with it? They're not gonna ask you for your credit card to do the credit check. They'll want a SS# to do the credit check. If you don't have one you'll have to get someone that does have one.
Well. You need to be billed and the iTunes store only accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

I called AT&T and they told me that I should be able to use my passport to hunt for credit and if it came back with nothing at all they would be able to generate me a phony SSN that would just be linked to their database. I presume this would then allow me to get a pre-approved security code from them.

So, what about buying one over the counter? As far as I am aware you can buy the iPhone (albeit as just a hunk of electronics) over the counter from Apple without giving them so much as your name. Clearly this would be no use but it does mean I could buy from Apple then go to AT&T to activate.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Well. You need to be billed and the iTunes store only accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

I called AT&T and they told me that I should be able to use my passport to hunt for credit and if it came back with nothing at all they would be able to generate me a phony SSN that would just be linked to their database. I presume this would then allow me to get a pre-approved security code from them.

So, what about buying one over the counter? As far as I am aware you can buy the iPhone (albeit as just a hunk of electronics) over the counter from Apple without giving them so much as your name. Clearly this would be no use but it does mean I could buy from Apple then go to AT&T to activate.
Clearly. Go for it.

xfiver

Jun 26, 2007
You could also buy the iPhone online, I doubt there will be a credit check online. When you receive the phone, register via iTunes on the name of someone else who is willing to do that, like a family member. I guess I have to go that route.

xfiver

Jun 26, 2007
I just called an AT&T representative. It's okay if you have no credit history or a SSN, but you have to make a deposit in order to get the iPhone. So I guess it's no big deal then. Pay the deposit, it's $500, and it should be fine.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I just called an AT&T representative. It's okay if you have no credit history or a SSN, but you have to make a deposit in order to get the iPhone. So I guess it's no big deal then. Pay the deposit (I forgot to ask how much it is) and it should be fine.
The deposit can be anywhere from $100 - $800. The good news is you get all this back after a year of paying your bill on time.