Stainless steel iPhone 4 back plates to install over factory back.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I have been trying to find some plates that go over the OEM back cover. They simply stick on with double sided adhesive tape. I tried to search and can only find replacement back covers. As we all know Apple voids the warranty if you replace your back cover.

There is a few plates that i have seen that go over the original back cover, but they have designs, seems like there is no plain back plates with no designs, have you guys seen any such plates with no designs at all?

here is what i have seen for sale, seems like they are machine or laser cut? but very precise, they don't seem to offer them in plain without any designs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Can I ask why?
Have you looked at cases. If your worried about damage they make a lot of cases that will protect your phone. Granted not made out of metal but protective.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
i do not want to replace the back cover because the aftermarket back covers suck in some areas, major part is isolating the flash. Also i don't like cases because i use wrapsol film all around the phone and it gives me really good protection and yet looks bare. Thats why i want a plate to go over the stock back cover, to maintain the quality with the OEM back cover, and also to completely stand out, while being bare (with wrapsol) ... i just don't understand why LEAF that makes those above back plates with designs, doesn't make them in plain brushed stainless steel or polished. i guess i can contact them and see if they can maybe sell them before they put the designs on them?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have on of these on my iPhone 4:

It's a titanium replacement back (and it has a diffuser for the flash).

I hate the original glass back of the iPhone 4 and wanted something a little more sturdy. No offense, but I think the stick-on back plates are tacky. Plus, they won't necessarily stop the glass back from breaking when dropped.

randuff

Aug 3, 2010
Fort Worth

I hate the original glass back of the iPhone 4 and wanted something a little more sturdy. No offense, but I think the stick-on back plates are tacky. Plus, they won't necessarily stop the glass back from breaking when dropped.
I think this looks sharp but how susceptible is it to scratching?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska

Could I ask where you got that backplate?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
THANKS! i just bought 3 of those ^^^ 1 black, 1 brushed with black trim and one with white trim, will see how i like them

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
THANKS! i just bought 3 of those ^^^ 1 black, 1 brushed with black trim and one with white trim, will see how i like them
Wow - 3 of them? Given how much they are, I really hope you like them too. ;) I'm hoping the iPhone 5 has a similar design or at least has a replaceable back plate like the iPhone 4, especially if they're going to be made of glass again. Because if it's glass, I'll switch it to metal again as soon as I can (and hopefully Mas Elements will make titanium ones for it as well).

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
These backings aren't that bad. They feel nice and it also gives you more of a sense of protection because if you drop your phone, the back won't shatter.

My only issue my paper tab on the battery (the one that voids your warranty) was sticking out a lot so it touched the steel backing. When the phone vibrated it made a crunching noise and it sounded like my phone was breaking (seriously thought it was until I figured out what it was). I'm sure I could of just folded it down, but didn't want to play with it too much in fear of accidentally removing it and voiding the warranty.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Wow - 3 of them? Given how much they are, I really hope you like them too. ;) I'm hoping the iPhone 5 has a similar design or at least has a replaceable back plate like the iPhone 4, especially if they're going to be made of glass again. Because if it's glass, I'll switch it to metal again as soon as I can (and hopefully Mas Elements will make titanium ones for it as well).
yes 1 black and 2 brushed, would love to see how they look in person, probably might keep the black one and maybe some of my friends would be interested in the other options. I might try and gold plate the titanium, haven't tried that, would be interesting indeed.