Standing in line, waiting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ckontyko

Bronze
Mar 14, 2007
I don't understand how people are going to stand in line to be the first to pick up an iPhone... Doesn't everyone need to know what the service plan options are? This is my biggest holdup, and the one that keeps this from being a "total impulse buy" for me. Now, if I knew the plans and monthly costs right now, then of course I would start camping out tomorrow.

But I just can't picture holding an iPhone box in an Apple store--- with all of you guys rabidly jumping up and down behind me trying to score your own--- saying to myself "hummm, what are my plan options? Let me just read through this tri-fold brochure here. Which plan should I choose? This plan give me X, but I use Y per month... but I could add Z for $12.99 per month.... Let... me... think... mmmmm..." :laugh2:

-CJ

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Im sure they will have all the registers working at that time will full employees. They want to get as many people IN and OUT as quick as possible.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I really hope we know about the plans before the iPhone is released. I plan on getting one the first day they are available, but that won't happen until I know the TCO (total cost of ownership). I am willing to pay up to $40 for unlimited data. If the unlimited data plan is more than that I will have to pass. I really really hope that doesn't happen :(.

the PHDs

Bronze
May 21, 2007
I don't think standing in line will be much of a problem..
my friends father job is buying a butt-load of the "hot" new product and is obviously getting the iPhone...
as a result, he has a little additional info...
he doesn't know when it will be released but he knows Apple is thinking big
he says that the stores will be overstocked above all else...
thats good news

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I don't think standing in line will be much of a problem..
my friends father job is buying a butt-load of the "hot" new product and is obviously getting the iPhone...
as a result, he has a little additional info...
he doesn't know when it will be released but he knows Apple is thinking big
he says that the stores will be overstocked above all else...
thats good news
Good to hear! Good stock on hand is great for you and me, but really helps avoid those "sorry, we're sold out" missed sales.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I want them to have an X per person number. We do not need someone buy all of them and selling them for tripple. If they are overstocked that is a different story.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I agree. Get there early to avoid someone coming along and buying them all up. Look for them to hit eBay just like the PS3 did with outrageous prices.

I really don't care what the required data plan will cost. I'm looking for it to be around $40 and don't really expect it to be any higher. The highest plan I saw on the survey I took yesterday was $19.99, so I'm hoping they will have a pleasant surprise for every new iPhone owner.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I really don't care what the required data plan will cost. I'm looking for it to be around $40 and don't really expect it to be any higher. The highest plan I saw on the survey I took yesterday was $19.99, so I'm hoping they will have a pleasant surprise for every new iPhone owner.
The real question is whether AT&T will classify the iPhone as a PDA or a Smartphone, as the price difference is $20/month for the data plans. A PDA is considered to have a keyboard (even the Blackjack, which is technically a Smartphone by MS) and has a $40/month price tag for data, and the Smartphone does not have a keyboard, so it runs $20/month. I am personally hoping for the $20/month Smartphone plan so I can save some monthly costs, as I am currently on the PDA plan. It all depends on AT&T's definition...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The real question is whether AT&T will classify the iPhone as a PDA or a Smartphone, as the price difference is $20/month for the data plans. A PDA is considered to have a keyboard (even the Blackjack, which is technically a Smartphone by MS) and has a $40/month price tag for data, and the Smartphone does not have a keyboard, so it runs $20/month. I am personally hoping for the $20/month Smartphone plan so I can save some monthly costs, as I am currently on the PDA plan. It all depends on AT&T's definition...
That's exactly why I posted the details of the survey. I'm hoping the same thing. $20/month wouldn't be a killer. I'll do the $40, but $20 sounds so much better.:cool:

May 6, 2007
United States
I agree. Get there early to avoid someone coming along and buying them all up. Look for them to hit eBay just like the PS3 did with outrageous prices.

Hopefully they will do the thing where they limit a customer to one iPhone. Then they have to bring all of their friends. It makes me pretty mad when people buy new gadgets just to sell them on eBay, leaving less or even none for the people who truly want one.

The data plan would be very nice at $20, but I would bet they would classify it as a smartphone. If there are two plans, one at $20 and one at $40, though, I would probably go with the $40 version if there are good bonuses, just to make the most out of the $600 purchase I am going to make. It is going to be expensive with AppleCare rumored on this site at what, $80? Plus the iPhone itself at $600 and $20-40 a month for the data plan. So let's say after one year, considering you have a $20 data plan, you have spent $920 without tax, which will likely total around $100. Or $1160 for the $40 plan.

Note: I am not implying that there will be two data plans at $20 and $40, but rather just using an example and putting in some speculation

May 6, 2007
United States
is that $20 or $40 on top of the basic phone plan?
Yes, we are referring to the data plans. These are for things like browsing the internet and texting. There are also the regular plan fees. But remember, $20 and $40 were just examples. Nothing is official at this point.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the data plans for the iPhone were free and unlimited? I would jump for joy :laugh2:. But it's not happening :(

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Yes, all smart phones that access data like email and web browsing require a data plan in addition to the voice plan that all phones have. While we know what the pricing is for existing AT&T data plans, we don't know which plan will apply to the iPhone or if the iPhone will use a new plan.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Yes, these are the data plans that are in addition to whatever voice plan you get. On AT&T currently, you must also add a text plan to use SMS or you will end up paying per message. So... we shall see what is finally announced.

With any sense, AT&T will classify the iPhone as a smartphone (no keyboard) and we will get the $20/month pricing for unlimited data.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yes, these are the data plans that are in addition to whatever voice plan you get. On AT&T currently, you must also add a text plan to use SMS or you will end up paying per message. So... we shall see what is finally announced.

With any sense, AT&T will classify the iPhone as a smartphone (no keyboard) and we will get the $20/month pricing for unlimited data.
That's what I'm hoping as well and also why I was so excited about the data plan survey.

rpbphoto

May 10, 2007
Data Plan?

If the data plan is too much I may just have to wait for the wide screen ipod. I just can't justify paying $40 a month for a data plan. That is almost as much as I pay for my high speed connection at my house. Hopefully there will be a less expensive option that you can choose and just use the wifi hotspots to do your internet and messaging. Any thoughts on if this is possible or is there going to be a all or nothing plan?

RB

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If the data plan is too much I may just have to wait for the wide screen ipod. I just can't justify paying $40 a month for a data plan. That is almost as much as I pay for my high speed connection at my house. Hopefully there will be a less expensive option that you can choose and just use the wifi hotspots to do your internet and messaging. Any thoughts on if this is possible or is there going to be a all or nothing plan?

RB
It would almost be fine with me if they didn't require the data plan because I have wifi at home, and work, but I would have to be able to disable the widgets from using internet when I was not on a hotspot. That would get to expensive on MEdia Net at $.01/Kb.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
It would almost be fine with me if they didn't require the data plan because I have wifi at home, and work, but I would have to be able to disable the widgets from using internet when I was not on a hotspot. That would get to expensive on MEdia Net at $.01/Kb.
Co-sign. Hit that widget button on accident and say goodbye to $1.00:(