Standing on line necessary?

aduzik

Jun 26, 2007
Why Stay Open Late?

I'm thinking Apple and AT&T wouldn't bother keeping their stores open an hour later unless they had something to sell you. What I mean is, if their supply will only last the first 20 minutes or so, why bother staying open an extra hour? There would be no point. That's why I think all the stores that are selling iPhones will have ample supply.

Even so, I'm going to knock off work a little early get to the West Des Moines Apple Store at 5:00-ish ;) I want mine as soon as I can get it.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I'm thinking Apple and AT&T wouldn't bother keeping their stores open an hour later unless they had something to sell you. What I mean is, if their supply will only last the first 20 minutes or so, why bother staying open an extra hour? There would be no point. That's why I think all the stores that are selling iPhones will have ample supply.

Even so, I'm going to knock off work a little early get to the West Des Moines Apple Store at 5:00-ish ;) I want mine as soon as I can get it.

Exactly my thinking! It makes no sense for them to stay open late, ESPECIALLY now that it is known that you activate and sign up at home. Regardless I will be up very early on Fr-iDay

Hattrick

Jun 26, 2007
looks like there are going to be lines now no matter what - the WSJ and NY Times articles will drive people off the fence

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
Exactly my thinking! It makes no sense for them to stay open late, ESPECIALLY now that it is known that you activate and sign up at home. Regardless I will be up very early on Fr-iDay
I agree. Malls close at 9, usually, and Apple stores will be open until 12 on 6/29. Can't see them paying $$$(they have to pay in my local mall to stay open past the 9pm closing time) knowing they will be sold out come 6:45

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
i totally agree i went to Apple in brea they said they where staying open till 12.00 the only way they would run out early is if Apples keeping supplies scarce. why would they have there store close at 2 to prepare for 4 hours and then stay open until 12 if they where only getting a few. im getting in line about 2pm just for fun.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
The more and more I think about it, I don't think I'm going to stand in line. Out of all of the people that I talk to on a weekly basis (friends, co-workers, family, etc. probably around 50 people), I am the ONLY one that is even thinking about getting this on Friday. That isn't an exaggeration either. You have to view this as more of a computer purchase than a cell phone or mp3 player. I mean after taxes and misc fees, this is going to come to close to $700. My computer with the monitor and everything, was only $750. I think there will be decent crowds, but the price is going to drive a lot of people away. Many people just don't have an extra $700 laying around. Plus when you consider that really only people on AT&T can get this, unless you break a contract, that knocks even more people off.

mc751n

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Many people just don't have an extra $700 laying around. Plus when you consider that really only people on AT&T can get this, unless you break a contract, that knocks even more people off.
I'm not sure where you live, but where I live all the kids here have to do is ask their parents and it's done. I know plenty of people that have been waiting for the phone.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
looks like there are going to be lines now no matter what - the WSJ and NY Times articles will drive people off the fence
What articles are you referring to? Can you supply a link?

And like another poster mentioned. Out of all of my friends and family members, I only know of like 2 more people that are even considering buying the phone.

As far as the post, I'm basically amortizing it over the year or two years, meaning that it'll be roughly 25/month for the phone, cause I'm not getting another one that soon.

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
The more and more I think about it, I don't think I'm going to stand in line. Out of all of the people that I talk to on a weekly basis (friends, co-workers, family, etc. probably around 50 people), I am the ONLY one that is even thinking about getting this on Friday. That isn't an exaggeration either. You have to view this as more of a computer purchase than a cell phone or mp3 player. I mean after taxes and misc fees, this is going to come to close to $700. My computer with the monitor and everything, was only $750. I think there will be decent crowds, but the price is going to drive a lot of people away. Many people just don't have an extra $700 laying around. Plus when you consider that really only people on AT&T can get this, unless you break a contract, that knocks even more people off.
I believe a lot of people will show up after getting off work just to see what all the hype is about -- some may buy it after being convinced seeing a demo model. I do agree though that because of price, carrier, and contracts, this will not be like the Wii or even the PS3 on launch day. Not as an average nationwide that is. I bet it does great but won't sell out the initial shipment until after the weekend.

But I'm still camping at 9am friday, just in case MY store runs out.