Star Trek movie by J.J. Abrams

Will you see the movie when it comes out next year?

• What is Star Trek?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
H

Hayesimus

So i was just conferring wth Geordi and i was curious if any of the rest of you are going to see this when it comes out?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So i was just conferring wth Geordi and i was curious if any of the rest of you are going to see this when it comes out?
I voted!

can I vote more than once?

H

Hayesimus

i for one am looking forward to this because i'm a big star trek fan. i don't really identify with the original series. especially sense there won't even be the original cast. but i am as much a firm believer in J.J. Abrams as I am in anything. I have fallen in love with just about everything he has ever put out. So... on that note. i am Highly optimistic about his latest endeavor. If anyone can revive this butchered franchise, its him. GOod luck J.J.(not to be confused with anyone local on the forum lol)

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Hmmm , since we're all carrying devices that are more advanced than a Original Series (TOS) communicator, this thread could turn into a veritable 'geekfest' I can't wait to see how they did.

There is a mini trailer on the site:
http://www.startrekmovie.com/

God I'm such a geek! :p

H

Hayesimus

well with all previous movies I've consumed every shred of info and visual data on the movies from previews to behind the scenes footage. and i've decided that for this one. I want to be a COMPLETE VISUAL VIRGIN. I want my first viewing to be untainted. I think that it will greatly enhance the movie going experience. I actually think i've already heard too much. I kinda wish i didn't even know Nimoy was making a cameo... lol. CRAP i ruined it for myself already!

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
well with all previous movies I've consumed every shred of info and visual data on the movies from previews to behind the scenes footage. and i've decided that for this one. I want to be a COMPLETE VISUAL VIRGIN. I want my first viewing to be untainted. I think that it will greatly enhance the movie going experience. I actually think i've already heard too much. I kinda wish i didn't even know Nimoy was making a cameo... lol. CRAP i ruined it for myself already!
Ha, don't worry the trailer doesn't show much....I tell you, I get goosebumps when I hear that original theme.

H

Hayesimus

See i grew up with TNG era stuff. But I like TOS too just that now its a bit campy. And I hate to admit that there were a few episodes of Enterprise i liked, but the series as a whole was destructive to the franchise and the overall story of trek imho. I'm not a fan of prequels. but from what i've heard of this movie its not being treated as a prequel in the traditional sense. more of a time travel episode. and i love those. lol so i wish they hadn't pushed it back past christmas but i guess the writers strike interrupted quite a bit, right?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I grew up with Capt. Kirk and the gang, loved the series and most of the spin-offs. Can't wait for the new movie. Actually attended a trek convention and Shatner was a speaker. What a condescending bastard! This is in Dayton, Ohio, and Shatner says something like, "I'm just a guy, you know? I'm like you all---I'm a farmer!" (cause he has a horse farm in KY). Like all Ohioans are farmers. There was a very audible groan from the crowd.

H

Hayesimus

yeah he's very EGO centric. but he did make star trek what it became i suppose.

H

Hayesimus

Yeah. I'm curious to see how the movie will portray him. Will they completely rewrite the character? Or will they have him mimic some of kirks idiosyncracies....

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I grew up with TOS as well. I saw Rick Berman speak at a convention once,this was just as he was taking the reins from Roddenberry. There are two things I want from the new film.

1. I'd like to see them bring Spock back from Romulus
2. Make some sense of kirks somewhat meaningless death.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Damn it Jim. I'm a Doctor, not a butcher.

In that old episode where Kirk and Spock go back in time to find McCoy and prevent Joan Collins from being rescued, what would Spock think if he had an iPhone versus the vacuum tube monstrosity he was working with?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I loved the original Star Trek. This is the first I'm hearing that JJ Abrams is remaking it....Count me among those who cannot wait to see it. Classic!

H

Hayesimus

The first you heard of it!?!? Its almost as profound as iDay! lol

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Any teaser trailers yet?

BTW, I'm also a big fan of the latest Batman installments. Another good example of doing a classic the right way.

H

Hayesimus

yeah there is a teaser. i'd post a link but i'm avoiding it as i stated previously. can someone post a youtube of it or something?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The City on The Edge of Forever (the episode was).

Damn it Jim. I'm a Doctor, not a butcher.

In that old episode where Kirk and Spock go back in time to find McCoy and prevent Joan Collins from being rescued, what would Spock think if he had an iPhone versus the vacuum tube monstrosity he was working with?
DeForrest Kelley had some of the best lines, as Dr. McCoy:

Never heard the butcher one, though…

I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist.
I will not peddle flesh! I'm a physician!
I don't know, Jim, this is a big ship. I'm just a country doctor.
I'm a doctor, not an engineer.
I'm a doctor, not a mechanic.
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer.
I'm a doctor, not an escalator.
I'm a doctor, not a coal miner.
and my favorite: I'm a doctor, not a phase inverter!

He's dead, Jim!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The City on The Edge of Forever (the episode was).

DeForrest Kelley had some of the best lines, as Dr. McCoy:

Never heard the butcher one, though…

I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist.
I will not peddle flesh! I'm a physician!
I don't know, Jim, this is a big ship. I'm just a country doctor.
I'm a doctor, not an engineer.
I'm a doctor, not a mechanic.
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer.
I'm a doctor, not an escalator.
I'm a doctor, not a coal miner.
and my favorite: I'm a doctor, not a phase inverter!

He's dead, Jim!
Bricklayer and escalator were my 2 favs. Seen 'em all, tho.