Starbucks Ordering. Precedes Apple Patent

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
As long as Steve doesn't call it iCafe, I think this will be nice.;)

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
And?

It will come with another firmware release that bricks your phone because Steve makes more out of Starbuck's than the hackers - it will be another useless feature rather than one I could really use that did something

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't know...I think it could be pretty cool. I make use of Outback's online ordering system. I find it much easier and I know they won't get my order wrong. Thing is, with my local Starbucks, there really aren't big lines. I cannot see myself pulling out my iPhone and accessing the ordering screen. It would be quicker to order from say...a person.;) That being said, I'm sure there are instances where it would be faster, quicker and more accurate than typical ordering process. Basically, it becomes like a personal kiosk.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
My points was

If this is real.... Why not fix the broken things not add revenue earners - at the end of the day, unless you are in such a hurry you can't wait and actually use Starbuck's such functionality is fluff and useless

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
If this is real.... Why not fix the broken things not add revenue earners - at the end of the day, unless you are in such a hurry you can't wait and actually use Starbuck's such functionality is fluff and useless

But isn't revenue needed to drive your businesss? I totally agree, that developers should fix the broken things. However ,only a small percentage of iPhone owners jailbreak/mod/unlock their phone. To us we see these "broken" things that need to be fix but the general public is blind. All they know is "wow, new update and now we have a new program cool" and are perfectly happy with it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
iBucks. Neat.

Except I don't really like their coffee. Nor McDonald's food (another place considering this tech)

They need to hook up with the convenience stores of the world. I need this at Wawa!

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I have a question:

I know that this will be released in an update soon-to-come. If I update, my iPhone does not brick, but it just gets out of the jailbroken format? Also do you think hackers would be able to hack into the iPhone once more to get an updated jailbroken iPhone?

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I would like to see the same technology for the movie theatre. You can just order your tickets with the phone, and then just walk into the theatre without waiting in line, and have them scan your phone like they will at starbucks..

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I would like to see the same technology for the movie theatre. You can just order your tickets with the phone, and then just walk into the theatre without waiting in line, and have them scan your phone like they will at starbucks..
yes! totally agree. why not something more useful then starbucks!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think this would be amazingly cool. While the Starbuck's around me never really get that crowded and I know most of the Baristas by first name, so they start making my drink when they see me pull up in my car, it would still be a pretty cool feature.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
For movie tickets, I go to fandango on my iPhone place the order, walk up to the kiosk put my credit card in for the tickets and go see the movie. It is a great idea and in some areas would help cut down the amount of time for getting your food or coffee.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
For movie tickets, I go to fandango on my iPhone place the order, walk up to the kiosk put my credit card in for the tickets and go see the movie. It is a great idea and in some areas would help cut down the amount of time for getting your food or coffee.

Great. Now you go on fandango and order. Then you go to the window with the cashiers? Or kiosk. And what timeframe from online to kiosk?

I am IceAge...............

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this is supper cool and id use it all the time, im a coffee nut! this is so cool and i hope that this is true, maybe that is what the theme for this yrs macworld is referring to?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Sinci I'm still a kid, I don't care much for coffee, and don't go to Starbucks that often, but I love the Frappachinos there :D
I think this would be a great feature, just to prove that it can be done on the iPhone, and then adapted by other developers and companies and made into a truly great app.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I think this would be amazingly cool. While the Starbuck's around me never really get that crowded and I know most of the Baristas by first name, so they start making my drink when they see me pull up in my car, it would still be a pretty cool feature.
LOL. This happens to me when I pull up through Dunkin Donuts drive-through or walk into the store; my coffee is always ready- all I have to do is pass them some cash. Most times I don't wait for my change.

Whats interesting about this concept is that we talked about this very thing in another thread some time ago- to be able to pay for purchases using your iTunes account.

I am not a huge Starbucks fan, but this would be fabulous to use in other stores.

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don't know...I think it could be pretty cool. I make use of Outback's online ordering system. I find it much easier and I know they won't get my order wrong. Thing is, with my local Starbucks, there really aren't big lines. I cannot see myself pulling out my iPhone and accessing the ordering screen. It would be quicker to order from say...a person.;) That being said, I'm sure there are instances where it would be faster, quicker and more accurate than typical ordering process. Basically, it becomes like a personal kiosk.
Hey Chris, this would work out great for me. I live in Northport and commute to Manhattan for work Monday through Friday. Try going into a Starbucks at 8:45-9:00 in Manhattan to pick up a coffee without getting stuck in there on line for 15+ minutes (I work in Midtown). With this, I could order before I get on the subway and just pick it up on the way to the office.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Technology is a beautiful thing, yet it is a blessing and a curse. I'm thinking (and just my opinion) if you are to lazy, or to busy to stand in a short line at Starbucks, for a Venti Yukon (no cream and sugar). I would think that, you really don't need it then. What about the interaction/Networking that can be done, while standing in line? You are not going to have a great conversation with a hot chick, if you just breeze in and breeze out. I think all the "i" mania is amounting to, iHavelostmymind.:mad:

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Hey Chris, this would work out great for me. I live in Northport and commute to Manhattan for work Monday through Friday. Try going into a Starbucks at 8:45-9:00 in Manhattan to pick up a coffee without getting stuck in there on line for 15+ minutes (I work in Midtown). With this, I could order before I get on the subway and just pick it up on the way to the office.
my mid-town Starbucks is 52nd and 8th. unlikely that theyre the same considering the number of locations in a five block radius...regardless, the situation is the same. any time between 8:30 and 9:00 you just have to be prepared to wait at least 10 minutes.