Starbucks Pikes Peak-I do not like it and must vent.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I love Starbucks. My husband makes it for me at home every morning. (If he buys different coffee, I complain). I like House Blend, Christmas blend, and and Gold Coast to name a few.

Recently, we went to Starbucks. This is a normal thing for us to do as a family on a Saturday or Sunday morning. There is a brand new location on my nearest corner and we have been anxiously awaiting the opening (the other location is 5 minutes farther away). I thought it was strange that there was only one coffee flavor available. Pikes Peak. I did not it. The next weekend, I gave it a try again. I still do not like it. Anyone else not like it? Am I the only one? Am I forced to now to Dunkin instead so I will enjoy the coffee?

Why Starbucks? Why?

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
travel the extra five minutes, rather than think those blashemous thoughts again.

in all seriousness though, try D&D beforehand, and see if you like it, if no, well, you said it yourself, the other closest is 5mins away.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
travel the extra five minutes, rather than think those blashemous thoughts again.

in all seriousness though, try D&D beforehand, and see if you like it, if no, well, you said it yourself, the other closest is 5mins away.
From what I understand, all the Starbucks only have the Pikes Peak brewing in store now. If I am wrong, and it is just that location, then I will travel to the farther away location...

Sam-have you tried the Pikes Peak?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I think it's strange also that there's only one coffee flavor available. I'd make my thoughts known and request what you want...you never know.

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
Kokogirl,

I actually have not, but i have heard it is decent.

is it bad?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Kokogirl,

I actually have not, but i have heard it is decent.

is it bad?
I am not a coffee expert, I just know what I like and do not like. IMO, it is too acidic. I really hate it and think it sucks. I am actually so unhappy that I sent Starbucks and email. I will see if they respond.

And I do not want decent when I go to Starbucks. I want AWESOME. If I want decent, I can go to the gas station.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
And I do not want decent when I go to Starbucks. I want AWESOME. If I want decent, I can go to the gas station.
Agreed. I am sick of paying out the ace for mediocre.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Agreed. I am sick of paying out the ace for mediocre.
I think Starbucks is trying to compete with cheaper coffee places. Well, I can just get cheaper coffee elsewhere. What I am upset about is that I like going to Starbucks, but I cannot enjoy going if the coffee is crappy.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Pike Place is being marketed to the non-typical Starbuck's customer. As a result, it alienates existing customers. In my area, they are brewing bold, decaf and Pike Place. I'm guessing they are instructed to give Pike Place to anyone who asks for "a coffee". I specifically ask for "bold -- not Pike Place". The staff often smirks in affirmation that Pike Place isn't real Starbuck's.

Personally, I don't see it working. People who love Starbuck's, love the "burnt" --- bold flavors. People who like lighter coffee -- ie. Dunkin' Donuts -- aren't going to start strolling into Starbuck's to try out Pike Place.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't had a chance to try it yet because every time I go they're ALWAYS out of it. I've gone like 5 times. I naturally assumed it was because everyone liked it and was ordering it, but now I'm thinking twice about that.

As an aside, has anyone tried the new Apple fritter things they have?! They're AMAZING.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
From what I understand the Pikes beans are grown in a place that has seasons that are steady or something likne that so the flavor doesn't change much season to season. I used to be a breakfast blend freak and then all the sudden it tasted different, apparently that is because the beans differ from season to season in the location where they grow it.

So basically, this bean is more stable and will taste the same time after time after time. If you don't like it now, wait a bit and you won't like it in the future!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I like coffee that one can stand a spoon up in. Hell, I work at a recording studio... we like our coffee extremely strong. If it is underbrewed, it is worthless, imo.

That said, Starbucks never tasted "strong" to me... it always tasted "burnt". Overbrewed. Whatever, it just has never worked for me. I like the latte's and such but straight coffee from SB... not for me. And I'll drink pretty much anything.

Perhaps I would enjoy the new flavor? Who knows, but I'm not about to spend 4 bucks to find out. Wawa is right across the street and their coffee, officially, RULES! (@$1.50 for 24 oz)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Pike Place is being marketed to the non-typical Starbuck's customer. As a result, it alienates existing customers. In my area, they are brewing bold, decaf and Pike Place. I'm guessing they are instructed to give Pike Place to anyone who asks for "a coffee". I specifically ask for "bold -- not Pike Place". The staff often smirks in affirmation that Pike Place isn't real Starbuck's.

Personally, I don't see it working. People who love Starbuck's, love the "burnt" --- bold flavors. People who like lighter coffee -- ie. Dunkin' Donuts -- aren't going to start strolling into Starbuck's to try out Pike Place.
Thanks for the clarification. I also got the name wrong. I guess I dislike it that much! There is a bigger Starbucks farther away, maybe they will brew more than one flavor. I did not complain at the store because the people working there are so nice and friendly.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
no you didn't complain because YOU'RE so nice and friendly!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I don't do Starbucks.

More money for the important things comprised of wheat, hops, and barley.