Starting iPhone.....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rinkssss

Dec 10, 2007
Hiee,

I have brand new iPhone from Apple store and unlock software from ebay.
I have a question.
Can i start the iPhone without having AT&T connection and directly install the unlokcing software or it is mandatory to connect the iPhone using iTunes and wait for AT&T activation.
is their any way to start the phone directly.
Can somebody help in this.
Really appreciate the response. Thanks!

regards,
Rinks.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
you can jailbreak the phone but if your phone is a firmware 1.1.2 you will not be able to unlock it at all at the moment it wont be possible only firmware 1.1.1 out the box can be unlocked..

Rinkssss

Dec 10, 2007
I have an unlock that is latest and works on 1.1.2 version.

But my que is how to start the phone without connecting to iTunes and then how to transfer the unlock to the phone?
and what u mean by jailbreak?

Thanks for your response!

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
are you trying to use your phone on another network besides att? Jailbreak is where you can install 3rd party software apps to it. Are you going to be using with att or someone else?

Rinkssss

Dec 10, 2007
i'll be using some other network, t-mobile...
thats y i don't want to use iTunes to activate my phone...
jailbreak is some that i'll think later....from what i understand..

but right now...i want to start my phone and run an unlock software on it...

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
ah ok what firmware is your phone... Look on the iPhone box at the serial number what is the 4th and 5th number if it is 46 or higher you will not be able to unlock your phone... Also you can install software to the iPhone unless its jailbroke so even if your phone is 45 or below you still have to jailbreak it first and why pay for the software to unlock there are free software out there that do it if your phone is not a week 46 or above... So first check your week if you your able to jailbreak it let me know and ill help you through it

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
also check out this link it has some very good info on unlocking and bypassing the iTunes activation but remember cant unlock on 1.1.2 but you can jailbreak thats all but you have to downgrade to 1.1.1 then upgrade to 1.1.2 then re jailbreak

http://iPhone.unlock.no/

Rinkssss

Dec 10, 2007
thanks for the site...
i was just going through the jailbreak process...
its a long process...do u think its safe to follow those instructions...
i'm still doubtful...do u think i shud go ahead and try it out....

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yeah its very safe for your phone ive done it several times but if you have 1.1.2 installed on your phone it wont be possible to unlock at all but you can jailbreak it that it

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
sorry i took me real long to respond to you but i just looked at that ebay auction and on the bottom is says
THIS SOFTWARE WILL WORK WITH FIRMWARE VERSION 1.0.0 TO VERSION 1.1.2. FOR iPHONE THAT HAS RECENTLY BEEN UPGRADED TO VERSION 1.1.2 DOWNGRADE IS RECOMMENDED FOR UNLOCKING (INSTRUCTION IS INCLUDED IN PACKAGE). OUT OF THE BOX iPHONE VERSION 1.1.2 IS NOT RECOMMENDED

it says its not recommended for 1.1.2 out the box so yours is 1.1.2 otb so it wont work it only works on 1.1.2 if you had upgraded to it but since yours came with it it wont work.. the only way to unlock a 1.1.2 would be open the phone up and do a hardware unlock which wold require soldering of stuff in the iPhone but thats hard i think or you may want to look into turbo sim

Rinkssss

Dec 10, 2007
cant i downgrade it from 1.1.2.... and if i wish to do that...
can u confirm the steps...
1. jailbreak..
2. downgrade to 1.1.1
3. software unlock
4. upgrade to 1.1.2...

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
no you cant just unlock because the iPhones that came with 1.1.2 installed have a different baseband which cant be unlocked yet.. The steps to jailbreak would be to downgrade your phone to 1.1.1 then use the wifi to go to jailbreakme.com download installer on the bottom of that screen then download oktoprep then you want to upgrade back to 1.1.2 then you want to download this software http://conceitedsoftware.com/iPhone/site/112jb.html and run it and it will unlock your phone... So theres no way yet to unlock a 1.1.2 otb phone because of the different baseband. You can try it but it wont work and could possible make your phone not functional if you try to unlock it...

Rinkssss

Dec 10, 2007
okiee...i got it now...
till wot number these streps wud work....
u said that the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number shud be less than 45/46... if its less than that...still is it possible that phone will be 1.1.2?
Thanks for your help...really appriciate that...
Now that i cant do anything...wot do u think how long will i have to wait...to unlock comes...do i have any other option than hardware unlock...which i wont do for sure....

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
if you have a phone with a 44 or lower you will not have 1.1.2 on it it would have 1.1.1 which would be good. Ive read that the iPhone will be able to be unlocked when 1.1.3 comes out but nobody but Apple knows when thats coming out.

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
no other option till then... ;((((
i'm in an impasse.... i cant sit quiet with such a beautiful thing in my hand... ;(
Rinks, worst case scenario...you can always Ebay it and purchase a 1.1.1 on there with the profits...you don't have to buy an unlocked 1.1.1 since those are much more expensive.

Just get a 1.1.1 new in the box then unlock it yourself....its a longshot but a sure way you'll end up with the model you want sooner?!?

Rinkssss

Dec 10, 2007
no you cant just unlock because the iPhones that came with 1.1.2 installed have a different baseband which cant be unlocked yet.. The steps to jailbreak would be to downgrade your phone to 1.1.1 then use the wifi to go to jailbreakme.com download installer on the bottom of that screen then download oktoprep then you want to upgrade back to 1.1.2 then you want to download this software http://conceitedsoftware.com/iPhone/site/112jb.html and run it and it will unlock your phone... So theres no way yet to unlock a 1.1.2 otb phone because of the different baseband. You can try it but it wont work and could possible make your phone not functional if you try to unlock it...

Chris...Sorry....but can you explain this part again....the steps to jailbreak...
mean while i'm going back to Apple store and will try to exchange the iPhone...