Starting to use Spotlight Search for almost everything

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ever since I discovered pushing the home button one time to go Spotlight Search with an immediate keyboard pop-up, I have also discovered that it is often a better solution than using the actual apps themselves. Do the following tests to decide which is faster:

1. Call a non-favorite contact using the Phone app vs. Spotlight.
2. Play a specific song using the iPod vs. Spotlight.
3. Load an app on page 3 or farther using the homescreen vs. Spotlight

Isn't Spotlight faster? Are there any other way Spotlight is faster that I haven't noticed yet?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't have 3.0, but I use spotlight on my mac all the time.

Question, when searching for music, are you limited to just the song title, or can you search by other criteria as well?

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
u can search by album as well as song title and artist

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I don't have 3.0, but I use spotlight on my mac all the time.

Question, when searching for music, are you limited to just the song title, or can you search by other criteria as well?
You can search by anything, if you search by Artist and then click it, it will bring up a list of all their songs. Awesome.

EDIT: This was a half-lie. If you search by Artist it will just bring up a list of all their songs, still very awesome.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
does it search safari history, like the Mac spotlight?

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
text history would be great and a better way of archiving text messages or at least an advance search like pull up all of "bobs" conversation before may 5, 2008. u know like how blackberry does... but i'm not going to complain about 3.0 b/c it has ALMOST satisfied my need to switch back to blackberry.

BlackMonsterBandit

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Dirty Jers
text history search would be awesome as well as email search for those of us with multiple email accounts for personal and businesss use

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Anyone else notice that spotlight launches apps quicker? I search something and click the link and that app opens slightly faster than it would if I were to click the app icon. At least in my opinion.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Anyone else notice that spotlight launches apps quicker? I search something and click the link and that app opens slightly faster than it would if I were to click the app icon. At least in my opinion.
Everything opens/is faster (for the most part). Did anyone else notice how much quicker the keypad flips around in the phone app while on a call? Also while on a call, when you press the home button to go to the home screen it's a lot faster, and there's now a much faster animation when pressing the bar on top to get back to your call.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Everything opens/is faster (for the most part). Did anyone else notice how much quicker the keypad flips around in the phone app while on a call? Also while on a call, when you press the home button to go to the home screen it's a lot faster, and there's now a much faster animation when pressing the bar on top to get back to your call.
Yeah everything is quicker if its not laggy (lol that sounds like a joke but its not). Apps open quicker and it even feels like safari loads faster too. I'm almost positive that zoom renders faster.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
i think its probably because, the program doesn't have to open the entire library of files you have available. like if u were to click on your contacts, your phone is processing to show the entire contact list, where as if u click on the contact in spotlight it just opens up that specific contact, same goes for music as well.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Yeah, I'm bummed it doesn't search bookmarks and history...or double as a google search and URL Box like QuickGold

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah everything is quicker if its not laggy (lol that sounds like a joke but its not). Apps open quicker and it even feels like safari loads faster too. I'm almost positive that zoom renders faster.
There still are some bugs and lags tho. Im running 3.0 now and it does have them. Im still waiting on AT&T to get MMS running