State Farm is going to insure my iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
After being a good, cautious little boy with my new toy, State Farm is going to insure my iPhone! For $50 per annum I will be covered worldwide for theft, accidental loss, owner ( thats me) inflicted damage, inflation coverage, acts of god and war (LOL) all with a $0 deductible.

I am not covered by acts of rodents or insects....better keep ratatouille out of the house or breakage through normal wear and tear (which is covered by Apple Care anyway).

Call your local State Farm Agents and get insured! The fee associated with insuring the phone varies by state so I am told. My state farm agent wasn't aware they would cover such an item but upon calling her underwriters, it was confirmed. They just needed to know how much I paid for the item because it has to be more than $399.

By the way, I live in New Jersey. I assume other deductibles throughout the US will be less than my $50. New Jersey is a horrible state for insurance and taxes.

Fred

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I am not covered by acts of rodents or insects....better keep ratatouille out of the house or breakage through normal wear and tear (which is covered by Apple Care anyway).

Fred
Where did you hear that Applecare covers "breakage through normal wear and tear"? That is EXACTLY what Apple care does not provide....all Applecare does is extend the warranty for another year....it does absolutely nothing in regard to wear and tear.

You don't need to worry about that though because it sounds like you have a good plan with State Farm...I will have to check that out.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
my bad

Where did you hear that Applecare covers "breakage through normal wear and tear"? That is EXACTLY what Apple care does not provide....all Applecare does is extend the warranty for another year....it does absolutely nothing in regard to wear and tear.

You don't need to worry about that though because it sounds like you have a good plan with State Farm...I will have to check that out.

Ooops. My bad. I meant they will cover hardware / software screwups and not wear and tear.

I did not have anything else insured with State Farm. The iPhone has its own policy.

Fred

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
One more thing....

I almost forgot. To all the naysayers out there: When you insure your phones through Verizon or Nextel or whatever, the MONTHLY fee is usually $5. That is $60 a year or $120 per 2 year contract. AND you would have to pay a $50 deductible. Man thats a lot to pay for insurance. Now, the iPhone will be insured for much less.

Another PLUS for the iPhone camp!

Fred

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
After being a good, cautious little boy with my new toy, State Farm is going to insure my iPhone! For $50 per annum I will be covered worldwide for theft, accidental loss, owner ( thats me) inflicted damage, inflation coverage, acts of god and war (LOL) all with a $0 deductible.

Call your local State Farm Agents and get insured! The fee associated with insuring the phone varies by state so I am told. My state farm agent wasn't aware they would cover such an item but upon calling her underwriters, it was confirmed. They just needed to know how much I paid for the item because it has to be more than $399.

By the way, I live in New Jersey. I assume other deductibles throughout the US will be less than my $50. New Jersey is a horrible state for insurance and taxes.

Fred
Can you please give me the number of state farm agent you called? I would like to give them a call because the two state farm agents that I’ve called here in my area said that they do not offering that. Thanks.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
i don't have state farm, but i have mercury, does anyone know if they do the same?
or yet, the new Applecare. does it do the same i mean state farm only cover for system failure, not wear and tear. isn't that the same with the Applecare you can get at Apple store for a lil more?

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Can you please give me the number of state farm agent you called? I would like to give them a call because the two state farm agents that I’ve called here in my area said that they do not offering that. Thanks.
They should offer what's known as a personal articles policy. Typically they are used to insure expensive personal items such as jewelry, handguns, etc. I would assume you could add electronics to that kind of policy.

Call them back and ask specifically about the PAP.

Disclaimer: I'm not an insurance agent. YMMV.

indycolt

Jun 27, 2007
2 phones insured for $30/yr.

after losing an iPhone, i had to figure out something for coverage on me and my wifes phones. Called up my state farm agent in CA and got them both insured for damage/loss/theft for thirty dollars and zero deductible. However, my rate is probably considerably less than most will pay due to the fact that i have two cars and my house with them as well. Hope this helps for anyone who is looking to insure their phones.

If anyone really wants to hear the story of how i lost my wife's phone after owning it for a mere two weeks, it came out of my pocket on a roller coaster. The staff went to look for it, but I called the phone and it went straight to voicemail, a key clue to its demise. I have never lost even a penny out of my pockets and have been riding some of the country's top roller coasters since I was around ten years old. (I am now 24) but, crap happens and if it happens again, I will have a new phone for free.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Just got off the phone with my local state farm agent and he said because the phone is only $600 it really isn't eligible to write up a policy just for the iPhone so he said he can insure my iPhone and a cartier watch i have for $70 per year with zero deductible. Considering this is $5000 worth of coverage with no deductible, I think I will go ahead and sign up. As someone said earlier, the cost of verizon insurance is in the range of $60+ per year plus a $50 deductible, so this is reasonable to me.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I have my car insured through state farm. I called my agent, they granted my a personal articles policy. To insure both phones (fiance and mine) full coverage complete replacement value with no deductible is $36.00/Yr

I <3 NY!

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
underwriters

Let me be clear when I said I received coverage today. I just didn't call up and I was covered....BAM! I called 4 days ago and there was a lot of talk going on between my local agent and the corporate underwriters until I finally received an answer. My policy would have been only $18 a year however, this magnificent state says it must be a minimum of $50. But, for that premium, I can insure anything I want to up to $4800. Not bad.

They also insured my $30 car charger, my $50 leather case, and my $25 crystal clear screen protectors.

State Farm says it will cover electronics only if they are above $399. Both iPhones are a shoe-in.

If any State Farm Rep gives you a hard time, I would advise you to call the corporate number.

I should also revise my previous post to say that it will NOT cover acts of war. But the whole act of god thing is still in play!

Fred

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Let me be clear when I said I received coverage today. I just didn't call up and I was covered....BAM! I called 4 days ago and there was a lot of talk going on between my local agent and the corporate underwriters until I finally received an answer. My policy would have been only $18 a year however, this magnificent state says it must be a minimum of $50. But, for that premium, I can insure anything I want to up to $4800. Not bad.

They also insured my $30 car charger, my $50 leather case, and my $25 crystal clear screen protectors.

State Farm says it will cover electronics only if they are above $399. Both iPhones are a shoe-in.

If any State Farm Rep gives you a hard time, I would advise you to call the corporate number.

I should also revise my previous post to say that it will NOT cover acts of war. But the whole act of god thing is still in play!

Fred

I am going to call the corporate office tomorrow to get this straightened out....

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
thats awesome that they cover the phone for no deductible. you could pretty much drop it and watch it shatter, and get a new phone for free...

...does anyone have any idea of gieco will insure the phone as well?

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
My insurance company USAA wouldn't do it, but the said they are looking into doing it.

BUT...

I am on the phone with State Farm, and they are doing the policy over the phone and its only 30 bucks a month! Woohoo.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Crap, sorry, 30 a year.

I bought mine off ebay, I wonder If I should give them the original receipt or the ebay information?

Hmm.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
$30 a Mo?!?!? Mine is $36/Yr for both our iPhones...
We’re getting a lot of different information for the same insurance company. Do I just call corporate and have them straighten things out for me? Do I just call the toll fee number? Thanks