Static

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I seem many posts regarding phone hardware issues with functionality suddenly not working.

I wonder if static electricity is the culprit here?

I have a touchscreen furnace thermostat and if I am not careful when I adjust it I can discharge static and ruin the device. i.e., in the winter I have to use the supplied stylus. I have done this twice before.

I wonder if the iPhone can also be broken in this manner?

Sure would explain so many of the really weird hardware issues I see posted.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I seem many posts regarding phone hardware issues with functionality suddenly not working.

I wonder if static electricity is the culprit here?

I have a touchscreen furnace thermostat and if I am not careful when I adjust it I can discharge static and ruin the device. i.e., in the winter I have to use the supplied stylus. I have done this twice before.

I wonder if the iPhone can also be broken in this manner?

Sure would explain so many of the really weird hardware issues I see posted.

Well in the winter this is a problem with the static discharge. I always have my phone in my pocket, but it has not affected me, especially when wearing a sweater. But on my solstice some times it zaps my automatics in the car until I shut down the car.

JDunham

Apr 16, 2008
I get static when my I Phone is connected. At first I thought it was only through my mac mini, but I also get it when I connect to my external portable speakers and use it as a I Pod ? Any Ideas ?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
By static, are you referring to the normal GSM buzzing? Static on call quality is not abnormal. Rather, it is a function of signal strength and other RF interferences.

Not sure I understand the iPod issue other than GSM buzz. You can minimize the buzz by using external speakers specifically made for iPhone or you can jury rig the cable going to your speakers via ferrite beads.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Make sure you're using a "compatible with iPhone" device. While the iPhone will play through many dock audio systems, that doesn't mean that it was made to work with the iPhone.