Stay away from 5.01 for good.

Oct 14, 2011
This is my first iPhone so I am a complete noob to the procedure.
This afternoon I got the alert to upate to 5.01 on my Sprint 4s.
I want to jailbrake it if and or when it comes out (untethered). Right now I have the notification in the settings-general-software update. Is there anyway to remove that notification so I don't hit it accidentally?
Will it be installed automatically after a certain amount of time ignoring it? How do I avoid updating it automatically?

If It did update to the 50.1 can't I do a system restore (what ever its called on the iPhone) Complete system wipe then it would bring back the OS to factory 5.0?
I don't care about losing any of my info except for Paid Apps of course.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Your iPhone won't ever automatically update. You have to initiate the update either in iTunes or at Settings->General->Software Update->Install.

As for reverting to a previous OS, it's usually not possible unless you had that previous OS jailbroken, and had its SHSH blobs (unique identifier to your phone and OS version) saved to Cydia. This is important because Apple checks this via their servers when you try to reinstall an OS on an iDevice. They stop allowing installs of old iOS versions if you've updated to a newer one. Having your blobs backed up to cydia helps because you can trick iTunes into checking cydia for these blobs instead of Apple via programs like TinyUmbrella.

But even with these blobs saved doesn't guarantee you'll be able to downgrade. Other updates in the OS can make it impossible.

Woody dog

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
Lancaster,Ohio
This is my first iPhone so I am a complete noob to the procedure.
This afternoon I got the alert to upate to 5.01 on my Sprint 4s.
I want to jailbrake it if and or when it comes out (untethered). Right now I have the notification in the settings-general-software update. Is there anyway to remove that notification so I don't hit it accidentally?
Will it be installed automatically after a certain amount of time ignoring it? How do I avoid updating it automatically?

If It did update to the 50.1 can't I do a system restore (what ever its called on the iPhone) Complete system wipe then it would bring back the OS to factory 5.0?
I don't care about losing any of my info except for Paid Apps of course.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have the same issue. I'm not updating to 5.0.1 I need a jailbreak on my 4S. I plugged the phone in to charge then looked at it a hour later and it had the pop up that a software update is available. I think it turned up with auto back up to iCloud. Now I'm stuck with the #1 on my settings app. I have looked and can't find a way to get it off. When the jailbreak comes out I think there's an app to remove badges from apps. That sucks that Apple is pushing the update out like that. Most people will update not thinking what they are doing and miss out on the jailbreak.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think most iPhone users are completely unaware of software updates (and jailbreaking for that matter), and miss out on important bug fixes, security patches, and new features. Apple isn't "pushing the update" either; they're just letting you know it's available. Is the little red "1" that much of an inconvenience?