Stay Away from the Agent18 iPhone Eco Case - Unless you like scratches

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

aphex

Sep 13, 2007
I originally kept my iPhone in a microfiber cloth sunglasses bag the first month of ownership. It worked great, but I was always worried I might stumble while removing it and drop the phone.

After much research, the Agent 18 Eco iPhone case looked perfect, slim edges, lightweight, sturdy.. So i picked one up.

Prior to putting the case on, i made sure the phone was as clean as a whistle. I also cleaned the inside of the Agent 18 case.

Well low and behold, I take the case off for the first time in 1.5 months or so and there are two fairly large scratches going down the back of my iPhone. The scratches coincide perfectly with the plastic mold seam I can see when I look at the inside of the case.

I sent an e-mail to agent 18 and of course they blame the iPhone and say it was debris - but considering the scratches are perfectly aligned with the seams in the plastic mold and they are black in color, its clearly not.

Just a heads up, unless you want a scratched iPhone (others over at Macrumors forums have similar scratches), stay far away from this case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Aphex, are they scratches, or black crap from the case built up on the iPhone? I have the invisible shield on my phone and I put it in my Vaja topholster case and had black crap here and there from the leather. It took some effort to remove it, so I was just wondering if it was the same kind of crap, or if the metal itself was compromised.

And for anyone else out there that is thinking about any case, I say first things first, get a body skin. I recommend the Invisible shield due to their warranty and Customer Service, but whatever you decide, get a skin on your phone. It will save you headaches in the long run.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Scratches will happen.

I have an Agent 18 and yet I still have a giant ding above my camera and my chrome rim on covered in scratches.

I'll get iPhone V2; it'll be shiny for a few weeks; then it too will get scratched.

- John

aphex

Sep 13, 2007
I perfectly understand that its simply a phone.

My point is that I bought this case to help PROTECT from scratches, not to add them itself.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't think I've seen a single thread about a case that doesn't have someone complaining about scratches.

Although, I have the agent18 and I see the seams in question - I wonder if those have any function as to holding the phone in place, or wouldn't a couple passes with a extra fine sandpaper simply take care of them?

aphex

Sep 13, 2007
i think normal people buy a case just incase they drop the phone...i guess i could be wrong here.
Normal People?

I buy a case to protect it. Yes I expect to protect it from drops, but I also buy it to protect it from scratches. What's wrong with trying to keep something looking new?

Why do some seem to think I have unreasonable expectations here? I've owned many phone cases before that never scratched my products.

mutilate607

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
lolz. it has to be you...sorry... ive been using the agent18 case 4 ever ive seen NO scratches at all. its seriously the best hard case out there but! i have heard people talking about a line showing up on the back where the 2 pieces connent but they all said it goes away when u wipe it AKA not a scratch soo make sure if its rly a scratch or not but ya i love the eco case ive had it for a while and no scratches at all

if u want a new 1

try out switcheasy.com iPhone capsule. its just like agent18 but a little diff.

voltjap

Dec 12, 2007
the same thing happened to me. i just took off the case to clean my iPhone and i noticed a scratch that matches the inside of the case perfectly. i just purchased this case less than 2 weeks ago. I was previously using the DLO case which worked perfectly, I just I have never dropped my iPhone and it was in perfect condition (i've had mine since launch). i am very upset about this product and will let agent18 know. please do not buy this case, you have been warned.

maf2003

Sep 24, 2007
i have the agent 18 clear hard case and i notice that inside the case there are parts that isn't perfectly smooth and causes scratches. it sux but thats life, might try the switcheasy.com cases.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
I see the seams in question, and now that I look I do have a bit of a line on my phone as well... again, nothing a 280 grit sandpaper wouldn't take care of. Unfortunately, most ppl looking at theis thread have already got the scratch. It's not that big of a deal to me as my bezel was already scratched to h3ll within the first few weeks by the notorious Incase.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Don't take the case off. Then you won't see the scratches. I honestly couldn't tell you if there are scratches under my Agent18.