Stealth updates question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LaymanX

Sep 25, 2007
Hi, I have an unlocked iPhone, and I'm perfectly happy with the product right now. I don't see a need to ever update the firmware.

I'm a bit new to Apple products, and am wondering if they would ever push out a stealth update through wifi somehow that would relock the iPhone? Have they ever had stealth updates in the past?

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
"how do you think people would respond to us doing a stealth update via wifi?"

"I don't know...have someone go to one of those iPhone forums...throw the idea out there, and see what the response is like"..."wait...make sure they pick a username that sounds non-professional and anonymous"

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Considering most updates require a reboot and that not everyone is connected to Wi-fi all the time (and most updates are huge, negating the possible use of EDGE) I would say no, this is not a concern.

LaymanX

Sep 25, 2007
lol @ cdinca.. hahaha

nope, just a Canuck who is using his Rogers SIM in his iPhone. I'm just worried that some malicious firmware update will make its way into my iPhone.

How about iTunes? Would that ever force an update on my iPhone? (I'm fine with keeping my iTunes at the lowest min requirement too)

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
"how do you think people would respond to us doing a stealth update via wifi?"

"I don't know...have someone go to one of those iPhone forums...throw the idea out there, and see what the response is like"..."wait...make sure they pick a username that sounds non-professional and anonymous"
amazing XP, i definitely "LOL"d

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Considering most updates require a reboot and that not everyone is connected to Wi-fi all the time (and most updates are huge, negating the possible use of EDGE) I would say no, this is not a concern.
You'd be wrong then :p

Yes, there's already been one OTA update to the iPhone (the iPhoto update). Having said that though, the chances of them updating the Firmware OTA are VERY slim... Adding or updating applications is very low risk, easy to fix by a repatch or connecting to iTunes. A corrupted or failed Firmware update however, has a very good chance of rendering your iPhone completely unusable. These kind of updates require the cable, for steady power, and for steady communications.

clavat

Jul 27, 2007
You'd be wrong then :p

Yes, there's already been one OTA update to the iPhone (the iPhoto update).
As far as i know, that was not a released update via edge/wifi...in fact i would strongly disagree to this theory.

It was timed to activate and thus was added in an earlier firmware update.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please