Step Brothers movie - Sorta funny, but ehhh

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Went out and saw Step Brothers yesterday. I thought that with Will Ferrel and John C. Reilly (same duo from Taledega Nights), it would be pretty funny. The promos looked funny anyway. The first 30 minutes were amusing, but it's riddled with profanity and after that first half hour, the bathroom humor got old.

It's definitely not a movie to take young kids to, unless you don't mind them hearing tons of expletives and crude sexual humor. I give it a C-.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Talladega Nights was hilarious. I love Will Ferrell, but John C. Reilly is just okay, IMHO. Thanks for the heads up on this one - I'll wait until it's out on cable...

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Talladega Nights was hilarious. I love Will Ferrell, but John C. Reilly is just okay, IMHO. Thanks for the heads up on this one - I'll wait until it's out on cable...
I agree...TN was a riot, especially that scene at the dinner table where Ricky Bobby kept referring to Baby Jesus and his kids Walker and Texas Ranger were shooting their mouths off at grandpa. I was in tears laughing at that.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Went out and saw Step Brothers yesterday. I thought that with Will Ferrel and John C. Reilly (same duo from Taledega Nights), it would be pretty funny. The promos looked funny anyway. The first 30 minutes were amusing, but it's riddled with profanity and after that first half hour, the bathroom humor got old.

t's definitely not a movie to take young kids toI, unless you don't mind them hearing tons of expletives and crude sexual humor. I give it a C-.
afterall, it IS rated R. The movie looked OK i guess, but I'd rather see TDK again.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I really don't want to see Will Ferrell jump the shark, as I really love his style of humor. He's really disappointed me the past few years though.

He's slipping.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Hmm. Can't say I don't agree. Afterall, Semi-Pro was kinda crap. Step Brothers looks about the same level.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Hmm. Can't say I don't agree. Afterall, Semi-Pro was kinda crap. Step Brothers looks about the same level.
Agreed. Semi-Pro was bad. I fell asleep on it. It was his run up the ramp to the shark tank and hopefully Step Brothers won't be considered his leap over the tank. Best movie he did was Stranger Than Fiction.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Stranger Than Fiction was a love hate for me. I mean, it was strange to see him acting in such a different manner. Not saying it was bad, I actually enjoyed it.
I always found his performances in anchorman and startsky and hutch hilarious.

EDIT- and lets not forget Saturday Night Live!

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Personally, I love Will. I've seen everything he has done, with the exception of this new movie, and Semi-Pro (I heard it was so bad, that I chose to not watch so that I could avoid any pain of beginning to dislike Will).

Now, earlier on Friday I had promised my wife I would take her to go see Step-Brothers....but, like the jerk I am, recanted my offer yesterday afternoon. I had heard questionable reviews of the film......and I am getting to a point in my life that I do not like forking over $20+ just to see a movie in a theater. I have a perfectly beautiful TV in my home, which has better quality than most Theater screens. I tend to err on the side of waiting for DVD. I will see this movie, as it is much more appealing than Semi-Pro was to me. But, most likely I will wait.

Now I have to plan something really nice for the wife since I went back on my promise.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
You keep that kind of talk away from her, you hear me!?!?!:mad::cool:

I would love for her to have one.....but she just signed a 2-year agreement with Sprint. My "plan" is to let her have my 2G next year once v3 iPhone is out. By that time she is around 8 months left on contract, and we can buyout then.

She is also "disappointed" in me b/c I bought a 3G instead of a bike....she just got herself a bike, and wants me to get one too....But I have NO room in our current place for 2 bikes (let alone 1). As soon as we have a house (HOUSE HUNTING SUCKS< BTW), then a bike will be possible. (I say that now....)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My feelings on Will aren't exactly positive. I thought about seeing this movie sometime soon (give it the old college try) but I haven't heard anything positive about it from anyone. I suppose I'll wait for the DVD and see The Dark Knight again.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
My feelings on Will aren't exactly positive. I thought about seeing this movie sometime soon (give it the old college try) but I haven't heard anything positive about it from anyone. I suppose I'll wait for the DVD and see The Dark Knight again.
why wait for dvd? i still haven't caught the IMAX screening, so i have to go check it out again. Can you believe our theater only shows 2 imax films: space chimps and kung fu panda? not the dark knight!? I mean, come on!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I meant that I will wait for DVD for Step Brothers. I don't see the need of spending $10 to see it in theaters as I haven't heard anything really positive about it.

IMAX only showing Kung Fu Panda and Space Chimps is a bit annoying. I saw TDK in IMAX and it was amazing. I'll be seeing it again sometime soon.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Can you believe our theater only shows 2 imax films: space chimps and kung fu panda? not the dark knight!? I mean, come on!
That's just BACkWARDS!