Step by step downgrade from 3.0

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I was just reading through that too. It does look good. I think I may do this today ...
Napoleon did a downgrade in Windows with no problem. I know that for Macs, it's a little trickier.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Napoleon did a downgrade in Windows with no problem. I know that for Macs, it's a little trickier.
Yeah, saw Napoleon's posts on this. I'm on a Mac, so it's a few more steps - but I think I'll dive into it soon. Bonus / Non-bonus about the steps, is that I'll end up JBed again at the end of it. It's been a while for me on stock - so I'll be theming the **** out of it later on I hope :)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I did it on Windows and it's pretty simple once your realize your not supposed to jailbreak before activating your phone.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've done it on the Mac now. I tried skipping the Quickpwn step, as it appeared to be playing nice with iTunes after the iRecovery stuff. It synced and all that good stuff, but when I rebooted it was back in restore mode - so I went back and did Quickpwn and now it will reboot nicely and I think all is good ...

koolhand79

Bronze
Oct 6, 2007
KILLA CALI
I did it on Windows and it's pretty simple once your realize your not supposed to jailbreak before activating your phone.
Exactly how does one activate before jailbreaking?

Never mind. i got it going.........

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I am having a horrible time trying to downgrade. I cannot get QuickPwn to recognize my phone at all. I have a Mac and it just won't work. I also tried bootcamp using Windows and QuickPwn but for some reason I can't get the program to run QuickPwn in Windows. Anyone have any ideas. It seems if I got QuickPwn working with Windows it would be a much easier time. I download and installed the .net framework 3.5 which apparently is required with QuickPwn but the program still won't run. do you need iTunes installed? HELP!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You need iTunes and QuickPWN. QuickPWN has a PC and Mac version. Just follow the steps below. Use a PC if you are having DFU problems with the Mac. You could also try using a powered USB Hub to circumvent the DFU mode problem.
This is assuming you are doing this in windows. Instructions for MAC can be found here.

1 - Open iTunes
2 - Get your iPhone in DFU mode
3 - Select restore iPhone (using the original 2.2.1 firmware, not a custom one)
4 - Let your iPhone do the restart process until you get ERROR 1013
5 - Close iTunes
6 - Open Quickpwn. you will get a message saying to hold power and home for 15 seconds.
7 - Turn on your iPhone by holding power button for 2 seconds
8 - Open iTunes and your iPhone is recognized and activated

It should be noted when you open quickpwn, that is all you do, you can immediately close it and reset your phone, let it activate and then you can jailbreak if you wish. You should not have to shift-click the restore button, just click restore. 2.2.1 is the latest official OS for the iPhone.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Just downgraded to 2.2.1 via the Mac. Only question I have is whether the iPhone has to remain jailbroken. I think the answer is yes since 3.0 modified the baseband. I've also noticed that when I try going to stock, I get a 1013 error in iTunes. 1013 confirms this theory.

Any one else notice the same thing?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
It is not necessary to jailbreak to roll back in windows, if you want to be stock...maybe find a windows machine to roll back with the mac instructions seem kinda complicated. Everytime you restore/upgrade (with exception to 3.0) you are going to receive error 1013 (failure to update baseband). Syncing shouldn't be a problem though, at least it hasn't been for me. In the windows instructions quickpwn is only needed to open and then close, no need to jailbreak.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Might be just a Mac thing. After restoring with 2.2.1, and getting the 1013 error, I had to manually reboot the iPhone out of restore mode using the fsboot command from terminal. Once rebooted, the iPhone (stock) seemed OK. When I rebooted it from being off, the iPhone was back in restore mode. Certainly, manually rebooting from terminal may not be convenient when away from the computer.

With jailbreak, that problem no longer occurs.

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Well I finally got it rolled back! And that was allot of hours. It wasn't that I was trying anything different but QuickPwn just would not recognize in Mac. I have Leopard 10.5.6 which is a problem I guess so it is recommended to buy a powered USB hub. That still didn't work. Bootcamp windows seemed allot easier but I couldn't get that to work either. Finally it took downloading the Windows .net framework and having iTunes installed on the Windows OS to work. And it worked like a charm first time. I am now resyncing my files but the lag and various random bugs are already gone. I have to say there are allot of bugs in 3.0 OS. Nothing major but small and annoying. Things I take for granted.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well I finally got it rolled back! And that was allot of hours. It wasn't that I was trying anything different but QuickPwn just would not recognize in Mac. I have Leopard 10.5.6 which is a problem I guess so it is recommended to buy a powered USB hub. That still didn't work. Bootcamp windows seemed allot easier but I couldn't get that to work either. Finally it took downloading the Windows .net framework and having iTunes installed on the Windows OS to work. And it worked like a charm first time. I am now resyncing my files but the lag and various random bugs are already gone. I have to say there are allot of bugs in 3.0 OS. Nothing major but small and annoying. Things I take for granted.
Aah - the Mac. "It just works."

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah. Funny but I thought that also in the back of my head the whole. (weird that this would be easier in Windows)