Step by Step Ringtone Hack for 7.4.1 and 7.4.1 (2)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Thought this may be useful to you all. I posted this in another thread but I suspected people who read that may not have problems with wanting ringtones.

Lets say you want only a clip of a song already in your library, Select the song you want to tweak in the library.

1. Go to "File" and "Get Info"

2. Click on the options tab

3. Find the part of the song you want the ringtone to start and end using seconds only. (make sure you put the seconds in precisely or they can mess up... ex, 3:25.04 or so on.... not 3.25.04)

4. Make sure you have a start and end of the song to convert to a ringtone.

5. Click ok

6. Click on advanced and convert song to MP3 or AAC whichever you use.

It will only convert the song for the seconds that you set the song for under the options tab. Now you can go back and deselect start and end time under the options menu for the original song.

7. Now we have to find the song so we can rename it. Make sure your Mac is set to "Show File Extensions" If you don't know if it is...... Make finder active.

1. Click on the Finder menu bar.

2. Click on Preferences/Advanced

3. Select show all file extensions.

8. Make sure your song is still selected in iTunes, Click on file and "Show In Finder"

9. Go back to iTunes and delete the file from the library that you created but make sure you select "Keep Files"

10. Now rename the file you created in the finder window to ".m4r"

11. Double click to open. It might play on iTunes and it might not, it will just make iTunes the active screen. Either way its in iTunes.

12. Now the file has moved to the ringtones folder in iTunes. You must now find it again and rename it to ".m4a" so it will play on the iPhone.

13. Sync and be happy.....

This is for iTunes 7.4.1 and 7.4.1 (2)

iAlex

Jun 27, 2007
Thought this may be useful to you all. I posted this in another thread but I suspected people who read that may not have problems with wanting ringtones.

Lets say you want only a clip of a song already in your library, Select the song you want to tweak in the library.

1. Go to "File" and "Get Info"

2. Click on the options tab

3. Find the part of the song you want the ringtone to start and end using seconds only. (make sure you put the seconds in precisely or they can mess up... ex, 3:25.04 or so on.... not 3.25.04)

4. Make sure you have a start and end of the song to convert to a ringtone.

5. Click ok

6. Click on advanced and convert song to MP3 or AAC whichever you use.

It will only convert the song for the seconds that you set the song for under the options tab. Now you can go back and deselect start and end time under the options menu for the original song.

7. Now we have to find the song so we can rename it. Make sure your Mac is set to "Show File Extensions" If you don't know if it is...... Make finder active.

1. Click on the Finder menu bar.

2. Click on Preferences/Advanced

3. Select show all file extensions.

8. Make sure your song is still selected in iTunes, Click on file and "Show In Finder"

9. Go back to iTunes and delete the file from the library that you created but make sure you select "Keep Files"

10. Now rename the file you created in the finder window to ".m4r"

11. Double click to open. It might play on iTunes and it might not, it will just make iTunes the active screen. Either way its in iTunes.

12. Now the file has moved to the ringtones folder in iTunes. You must now find it again and rename it to ".m4a" so it will play on the iPhone.

13. Sync and be happy.....

This is for iTunes 7.4.1 and 7.4.1 (2)
i got it all the way to import to iTunes library but it never moved into the ringtones tab!

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Didn't work for me neither. After changing the extension to ".m4r", clicked it and iTunes opened but did not appear in the Ringtones folder. In Finder, the name reverted back but without an extension. Getting info reveals that it went back to .mp3.
Just testing. Failed. But I'll keep iToner for now. Thanks for the guide.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Didn't work for me neither. After changing the extension to ".m4r", clicked it and iTunes opened but did not appear in the Ringtones folder. In Finder, the name reverted back but without an extension. Getting info reveals that it went back to .mp3.
The file did not revert. The file you changed the extension moved to the ringtones folder in iTunes. You are looking at the original file that you changed from mp3 to m4r.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Remember the file you name m4r automatically moved to a ringtones folder in the iTunes folder under "music". you have to change the name in that folder to m4a.

If you go back to the folder that the file "was" in you will see the original file and get confused. The edited file is no longer in the original folder

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
Remember the file you name m4r automatically moved to a ringtones folder in the iTunes folder under "music". you have to change the name in that folder to m4a.

If you go back to the folder that the file "was" in you will see the original file and get confused. The edited file is no longer in the original folder
yes that is correct. I think people are looking at the original mp3 file but the ringtone file was automatically moved by iTunes to user>iTunes>iTunes music>ringtones

Jul 7, 2007
would this also work on windows? I see you mentioned to " Make sure your Mac is set to "Show File Extensions" If you don't know if it is...... Make finder active, " so I'm just wondering.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
This is for Mac:
Akophone, you can't just change to m4r by clicking on the m4a filename. You must RIGHT click the file then click "Get info" and in that window change the extension. And you have to see the confirm change to m4r prompt.

BTW- I updated to iTunes 7.4.1 (2) and m4a extension syncs fine. And deleting ringtones is easy- just delete in iTunes.

Also for people having problems I would recommend redoing procedure with a different mp3 ringtone. Don't keep trying to convert the same mp3 ringtone, IMO.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
For Mac:

Same as Brianlamar but little different phrasing
1. open mp3 ringtone to iTunes
2. convert to AAC under "Advanced"
3. Right click new AAC file in playlist and click "get info." Memorize file location.
4. Now delete the mp3 ringtone and AAC file from iTunes Playlist but choose to "keep files"
5. goto iTunes folder where AAC ringtone is. Change from m4a to m4r by right clicking and "get info"
6. Double click this m4r file (this will add it to iTunes ringtones)
7. goto iTunes Ringtones folder and change from m4r to m4a by right clicking "get info"
8. in iTunes choose to sync the ringtones you want
9. sync iPhone

in short:
mp3--> m4a-->m4r-->m4a

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
For Mac:

3. Right click new AAC file in playlist and click "get info." Memorize file location.
4. Now delete the mp3 ringtone and AAC file from iTunes Playlist but choose to "keep files"
5. goto iTunes folder where AAC ringtone is. Change from m4a to m4r by right clicking and "get info"
7. goto iTunes Ringtones folder and change from m4r to m4a by right clicking "get info"
9. sync iPhone

in short:
mp3--> m4a-->m4r-->m4a
Okay, this one worked. It finally showed up in the Ringtones folder, for some reason, the other way didn't... Thanks!

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Winter Park / Orlando, FL
For Mac:

9. sync iPhone

in short:
mp3--> m4a-->m4r-->m4a
this is the only way that worked for me to get ringtones... and im on a win xp so thank you very much!

Pharaoh

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
i am using vista and can get them into my ringtone folder

to change them to m4r i right click the file in my iTunes music folder and just change the file name from song.m4a to song.m4r (i hope thats right?) then it imports to my ringtone folder. I do not know how to change it back to m4a after its in my ringtone folder. I click get info and cannot change it?

The file type says its Protected AAC audio file. it is .m4r tho, and no option to change the file type..

please help

Sep 14, 2007
i am using vista and can get them into my ringtone folder

to change them to m4r i right click the file in my iTunes music folder and just change the file name from song.m4a to song.m4r (i hope thats right?) then it imports to my ringtone folder. I do not know how to change it back to m4a after its in my ringtone folder. I click get info and cannot change it?

The file type says its Protected AAC audio file. it is .m4r tho, and no option to change the file type..

please help
ok i'm using vista and had your same issue, once the .m4r is in your ringtones iTunes folder, find the file on windows explorer and change i back to m4a manually, after that double click the file in the ringtones libray and iTunes will give u a message saying file not found, would u like to locate it so click yes and browse to the .m4a file and click ok then sync. it should definitely work after that.

daynah

Sep 14, 2007
I followed the first set of instructions apparently correctly, because when I followed the second set, I just ended up doing everything twice. :)

The error message I get (on Vista Pro), is that "song" cannot be transferred to "iPhoneName" because it cannot be found.

I put the mp3 into the library. I convert to AAC, I delete. I change to m4a. I change to m4r (it moves to ringtones when it open it), I change to m4a, and I don't open it so it'll stay in the ringtones folder. Then I sync. I have iTunes 7.4.1.2, Vista Pro, iPhone version 1.0.2