Step Up The Phone Game

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Mrmargatini, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

Apple, you really need to step up your phone game. Let me first say I'm Apple loyal to a fault I'm not leaving from my Apple TV, iMac, iPhone and forever my iPod! But lets look at this multiple function! Why can Android do more than one thing at once? iOS colors? Listen to the world NO ONE LIKES THESE COLORS. IT LOOKS LIKE EASTER. Phone size? We want a damn bigger phone. Not longer we want bigger. 8 mega pixels? Is Nokia at 49? And we are still chilling at 8? Apple what the hell! Gesture activation? Why can't we do this? Knows when I look away? Why can't we do this? What do we get? Easter colors, finger print ID and a gold phone. No one can beat the App Store at all. How easy the iPhone works is perfect. Android is way too busy yes. But damn Apple this update just screams "Microsoft Vista ME" these colors make me feel like we drafted Ryan Leaf! Com!on Man!

Sent using iCafe app

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A lot of your comments sound like your own opinion, which is fine. I use both Android and iOS phones, and I keep coming back to the iPhone. Sure, I'd like a larger screen, but the trade-offs of today for me aren't quite worth it.

3. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

Honestly I don't ever see myself leaving iPhone but truly I feel this is a time where they could have done more. And yes in my opinion I hate the new colors a lot. The 5c colors and the iOs colors. The options that the galaxy has over the iPhone I totally feel Apple could do much better, match or the have prototypes that would blow them out of the water. I just have a feeling that iOS 7 will be the departure of Jony Ives

Sent using iCafe app

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I agree with you entirely on the colors. To me they look very cartoonish in a sense. As far as doing better, I hope the iPhone 6 gets down to the nitty gritty stuff that a ton of people would love. It would be awesome to be able to put my hand in front of the iPhone to turn the screen on, and when I move away it goes off. Many other tweaks would be awesome to have already available in the iPhone. Same with gestures (activators) as you said.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

I must be the only one "okay" with what Apple has/is doing. I dislike the huge screens Samsung lovers go for. The 5 c colors are kinda loud, but so is everything else these days..... shoes, clothes, headphones, even cars are coming in more vibrant-neonish tones....

Sent using iCafe app

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah - the 60s are calling...

laughin.jpg

7. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Using a gs4 now after going from a iPhone 5 and I will be getting the 5s on launch day. I think Android is behind in apps and performance when compared to iOS.

8. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Really? If your such an iPhone fanboy why did you expect more? It's an S year! What did you expect? Hell with the 3GS all we got was a faster chipset. This year we got a fingerprint scanner, much faster chipset, 64 bit architecture, new motion sensing chip, different color, and if you think megapixels are what defines a good camera you need to do more research A LOT more research. I consider it a great improvement over all.

Now on to your opinions. Not everyone wants a bigger phone. The 5 is a perfect size for me. I don't want a phablet. If you want to look like a tool running around with an iPad mini strapped to head feel free. And the colors is just more personal expression but that's not the reason they did it, they did it to decrease a huge loss they would have taken if they sold the 5 at the current pricing model they set. All the other features you listed are more than likely copyright protected so we will never have them so if you expected them then it's nothing more than wishful thinking.

Ya shouldn't be mad at Apple but more yourself for placing unrealistic expectations on something when you should have known better. Come on man ya should know how this works by now.

9. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

You're not alone. I'm actually impressed with what Apple did it being a S year and all. Everyone who's upset is just expecting Apple to not be Apple.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A lot of people view the the phone as the same if it doesn't have a design change. The home button is different, but that's not enough for them. I think most of the disappointment involves the lack of a bigger screen and more obvious appearance changes.

To be fair though, the 3GS had a pretty equal amount of upgrades. In addition to the faster processor, it had better battery life, camera upgrades, a magnetometer and improved graphics.

#10 Europa, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  11. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I remember all they did to improve speed was up the RAM from from 128 to 256 to improve speed and I think the camera upgrade wasn't as significant as this years. Besides all that, people are just expecting Apple to not be Apple. This is what happens when you set unrealistic expectations on something. That's not Apples fault but theirs.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It had a faster processor, too.

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Quick reminder that we argue points here and not to make things personal. This way we can have vibrant discussions without anyone getting offended. I personally enjoy this thread and want to see how this discussion plays out. Everyone here has valid points. To which, I think offering more choices wouldn't be such a bad idea. Why not offer a big iPhone? The market is changing, more people want a larger iPhone. Nothing wrong with that. Would anyone be upset if next Friday, you could pick up one of the following:
    • iPhone 5SG $299
    • iPhone 5S $199
    • iPhone C $99
    Apple has been testing larger screens from 4.8-inches up to 6.0-inches.

#13 chris, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  14. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

Honestly I hoped that Apple would have tried even though it's an S year to try 2 different phone sizes. Not. A 4s and then go with the same 5s size. I don't want an ipad mini strapped to my head but I feel like the one more inch or 2 would have been a great addition. I full well know how it works. Every now and then they will look at the market and see that they need to step out of the norm and do more. On the colors? I really don't see why they continue to go with a pastel look. I'm all for colors I love that idea but the color pallet that Ives is stuck on just seems to have so many complaints and he isn't listening. I myself am not a fan of that pallet true but as I watch and read the reviews that seems to be a complaint across the board.

On the camera I understand full well larger pixels however so far it still seems like Apple is 3rd down the line on camera quality from Nokia in the number 1 spot, the S4 beating out iPhone and then us. We will have to see the side by sides after the 20th and then we will know.

I will forever be an Apple Fan for far too many reasons to count but I truly would like the option of a different size. I would have liked to see Apple break from the norm shake up the industry. Hide all the rumors and truly surprise us.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

Exactly that's all I was hoping for which now seems like it will happen with the 6 launch we shall see

Sent using iCafe app

#15 Mrmargatini, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, the lack of a bigger screen is a deal breaker for many, but I've noticed that they often downplay all the other upgrades because of that.

The Nokia is a phone built around a camera. It's not a good all-around phone with a solid OS. Just because it exists doesn't mean Apple needs to add a 21 MP camera to the 5S to stay competitive. I don't buy into the megapixel myth. Optics are more important if you look at real life results and not just a number. They explained it in the Keynote for those who don't understand it. I'm curious to see how the SGS4's camera will compare to the iPhone 5S'. I think the 5S will perform better or at least as good.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm curious why you think the S4's camera beats that of the iPhone 5. Just looking for information.

18. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Maybe iPhone is as smooth and superior (personal opinion) as it is because of the fact that it doesn't include some of the features you mentioned in other phones. For example, Nokia's 49 megapixel camera takes 2-3 seconds to save each photo before another can be taken. 49 megapixels is big enough to blow the photo up to billboard sized but likely no one is taking a picture with a phone to be printed at massive sizes. I would much prefer a fast shooting, high quality 8MP photo that I can view on a PC/tablet than a laggy 49MB photo that take up way more storage space on the phone. The same goes for some of the technologies mentioned which exist in Android phones. Gestures and face recognition works spotty at best in my uses and leads to a user experience that is frustrating rather than helpful. Just my 2 cents.

19. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

Yes I look forward to the comparison and see how it will look. I feel like the increased megapixel will allow for the creation of larger photos, poster size the opportunity to print much more. You are right the Nokia is built around a home digital camera weird form factor but I would have liked to see Apple at least for to 15 with the faster f stop and dual flash

Sent using iCafe app

20. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

The S4 from what I've seen with my own 2 eyes seems to beat us out slightly it's not an Ali knock out but it does seem so far to beat out the iPhone.

What the iPhone does Apps, how easy it is to use, the way it just works with everything continues to keep me plus the fact that I just love Apple all the way around

Sent using iCafe app