Steve Jobs Open Letter: Issues $100 "Store Credit" for Early Adopters

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
nah, but who knows! But I agree win win! Now let's talk about something that should piss us all off! How badly edge sucks! It took me 10 Min to enter this post!
It's not WIN-WIN.... It's WIN-WIN-WIN ;-) any office fans out there?

And yes, I am getting the feeling that the next iPhone is on the horizon very soon--- maybe even before the holidays... But I'm fine with that-- Let the next model come out with 3G (no coverage where I live) and with 16GB (I'm OK with 8gb and my 40gb ipod); I won't feel hurt when the current model gets another price cut.... The next model will be a hardware upgrade--- we will all still be waiting for the software upgrade-- and let's face it- that why we bought the iPhone to begin with.

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
I wonder how many emails were sent via the feedback link on Apple's site? I sent them feedback, a nice note, mentioning my dissatisfaction with the price drop. At least Apple did the right thing.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Good move by Apple to make things right. And realize that this move is unprecedented in the consumer electronics industry. I'm quite surprised, even shocked, that this was done.

coryt87

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
It's not WIN-WIN.... It's WIN-WIN-WIN ;-) any office fans out there?

And yes, I am getting the feeling that the next iPhone is on the horizon very soon--- maybe even before the holidays... But I'm fine with that-- Let the next model come out with 3G (no coverage where I live) and with 16GB (I'm OK with 8gb and my 40gb ipod); I won't feel hurt when the current model gets another price cut.... The next model will be a hardware upgrade--- we will all still be waiting for the software upgrade-- and let's face it- that why we bought the iPhone to begin with.

"Thank you, Jim!" hahah love the office

I am very happy to hear this, kind of wondering about the stipulations but definitely good news in my book

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I still believe the 4 gig buyers should be able to trade for an 8 gig now. Just makes sense to me.

Didn't I hear they are discontinuing the 4gig?

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I still believe the 4 gig buyers should be able to trade for an 8 gig now. Just makes sense to me.

Didn't I hear they are discontinuing the 4gig?
I wonder what the retail value for the 4GB phone will be on ebay now... 200...? 250? With the credit you can upgrade yourself to 8gb for only 50 dollars.... not free but still an option.

Swagfndr

Jul 30, 2007
Laguna Heights CA
Way to go Apple!

I guess that means I will be buying the 160gig ipod for me and giving my 1 year old 80 gig to the wife.

$100 is better than a swift kick (thats what my mom always said)

Giies

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
i still prefer a $100 check instead of credit since i don't think i'll buy anything from them anyway. if they could offer $100 toward ATT account, that would even be better. .... but well, it's still better than nothing.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Congrats and thanks Steve. Classy move, nice letter. Its what we've come to expect. You did the right thing, sure some will say your hand was forced but it matters not. Stepped up, apologsed, showed Apple cares -- kind of refreshing in today's businesss climate.

And thanks for almost free Leopard :).

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Congrats and thanks Steve. Classy move, nice letter. Its what we've come to expect. You did the right thing, sure some will say your hand was forced but it matters not. Stepped up, apologsed, showed Apple cares -- kind of refreshing in today's businesss climate.

And thanks for almost free Leopard :).
good point!

Almost free Leopard is a great way to splurge!

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
OUTSTANDING! Precisely what was needed (the $100 credit AND the letter of apology) to calm the restless throngs. I was not exactly angry over the price reduction, but was somewhat disappointed. I am not a long-time Apple user like I'm sure many if not most of you are, but rather a first-timer. Being a first-time Apple customer and really wanting to jump on the bandwagon for more future entries into the Apple world (iMac was (now is again) next on my list, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that after this event. With the great PR move on Apple's part, my confidence is restored as I'm sure it is for many other "newbies". It's all about perception and reputation.

Thanks for listening, Steve and Apple. kudos :laugh2:

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
i still prefer a $100 check instead of credit since i don't think i'll buy anything from them anyway. if they could offer $100 toward ATT account, that would even be better. .... but well, it's still better than nothing.

You can probably sell that credit on ebay for about 90 I would bet if you really want the cash. I'll use by credit to buy more stuff. MacMini once Leopard is out.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I was going to get my wife a 4G iPhone after christmas. Now I will get her the 8G and use my rebate to help. I posted a comment I wrote to Apple in a different thread. Oh yeah......I wanted to thank everyone else that decided to write to Apple and let them know of their dissatisfaction. Because of you Apple made this decision. So Thanks!

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Will a receipt be necessary? Or will they be able to tell by the activation date/serial # on the phone?

rittchard

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Very nice, let's see if/how they follow through with this.

Reading some of the responses here, I don't think a lot of people really "got it" in understanding why it was a big deal in the first place, and why it's a bigger deal what the open letter signifies. It wasn't just about $100 or $200, the exact numbers were only a part of it. More importantly it's about *respecting* (ironic that he chose to play "Respect" during the show) your customers, and not just your average customers, but those most loyal and faithful to you. Yesterday's announcement was pure and simple a slap in the face, an open acknowledgment on a worldwide forum that 800,000ish of Apple's biggest fans had simply been price gouged, without even a hint of regret. People were laughing at us, and for good reason. It doesn't matter whether we as early adopters "should have known better" as I've seen/heard a dozen times; we accepted the risks of buying new tech on good faith - and all we asked for in return is some of that same good faith from the company we trusted. In this day and age, good faith is something you can't just buy and sell, it has to be earned, and is pretty tough to come by from big corporations.

While the sting of the slap still hurts, it's nice to see an actual apology in the tone of the letter, which to me was in many ways more important than the money. I believe this kind of open letter for the world to see, and open acknowledgment of a mistake, is as unprecedented as the price cut itself was. Cynics will say it's just a smooth way to cover their tracks so they can prime us to buy more stuff. Maybe so, but it's still much better than the alternative of them saying or doing nothing. At the very least tonight when I get home I'll be able to look at the Apple logo on my iMac without cringing :)