Steve Jobs Open Letter: Issues $100 "Store Credit" for Early Adopters

callkiss

Jul 24, 2007
I'm still very angry at Apple. I don't care about having $100 credit at Apple store. What am I gonna buy? $100 worth of headphones? I want my money!

It was about time Apple woke up and did something but I am NOT satisfied, especially by the tone of this letter! Who do you think you are S. Jobs? Do you think we're fools? The way he talks to us makes me angry.

"This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon."

NO, this is NOT the way it is! Prices go down, but not after 60 days.

AMEN brother! I would like to heard more from this guy.

iRon

Aug 8, 2007
NorCal
I realize this letter is intended for early adopters and "details are being worked out", but the wording in his letter addresses every iPhone buyer from AT&T or Apple. That sounds like there could be a rebate or deal even for buyers of the iPhone at the new price. Hmmmm....

night52

Sep 6, 2007
So wait are we now receiving $100 on top of the $200 we can already get from Cingular if we purchased within 14 days or what? I know this was probably already asked but I have to leave the house in a couple of minutes and don't have time to search.

Thanks

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
wow just wow for all the people who were saying oo stop botching and whining your not getting nothing look now. We have a voice and we must be heard if It wasn't for all the complaints we would of never goten this. Apple is back on my great list and I'm gonna go throughand buy my MacBook now knowing that
Apple is a great company that cares about its costumers!

PS: I wanna buy an iPhone for my girl now the 4gb I just hope they get the rebate out quick and hopefully its Instantly (doubt it) instead of that mail in crap

Overthrow

Sep 6, 2007
The stock falling is pretty much nothing. Their stock fell $8 the day of their media event. Apple's stock is always volatile after these events.

Mike Overbo
Phone Different

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Brian WIlliams just covered it on NBC News tonight -- had a picture of Steve with the word "iPology" under it :) It was a good little short piece.

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Can I ask a question? I saw on another thread that the rebate is only good for the first day through August 21st (and I can't find that link again). Has anyone else heard this? I, of course, bought mine on August 27th. I read his letter real close and it says "every iPhone customer".

Opinions?

gloomcookie

Jul 14, 2007
los angeles, ca
Can I ask a question? I saw on another thread that the rebate is only good for the first day through August 21st (and I can't find that link again). Has anyone else heard this? I, of course, bought mine on August 27th. I read his letter real close and it says "every iPhone customer".

Opinions?
Isn't that still within the 14 day window? You should return it and rebuy it and you'll get more than $100 back...

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago

Opinions?
you are within the 14 day period where you can get your full refund back, wouldn't you rather have that then a $100 store credit!?

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Sorry. I have lost my mind. I bought it July 27th. Nevermind. It has been a rough day. I was just thinking the 27th. Thanks for waking me up!

dmwinkler11@ou.edu

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007

Opinions?
Jobs did every customer who was not taken care of and compensated... I would quote that part but I'm on my iPhone :( (copy and paste would be nice right now) but I assume he means if you paid the higher price and you didn't get any money back already then you will get the $100 credit.

iphoneluverr

Aug 28, 2007
your basically giving the money back to him when u buy something, and really, what can you but from from Apple thats good for 100 dollars? a shuffle? ill pass

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Very nice, let's see if/how they follow through with this.

Reading some of the responses here, I don't think a lot of people really "got it" in understanding why it was a big deal in the first place, and why it's a bigger deal what the open letter signifies. It wasn't just about $100 or $200, the exact numbers were only a part of it. More importantly it's about *respecting* (ironic that he chose to play "Respect" during the show) your customers, and not just your average customers, but those most loyal and faithful to you. Yesterday's announcement was pure and simple a slap in the face, an open acknowledgment on a worldwide forum that 800,000ish of Apple's biggest fans had simply been price gouged, without even a hint of regret. People were laughing at us, and for good reason. It doesn't matter whether we as early adopters "should have known better" as I've seen/heard a dozen times; we accepted the risks of buying new tech on good faith - and all we asked for in return is some of that same good faith from the company we trusted. In this day and age, good faith is something you can't just buy and sell, it has to be earned, and is pretty tough to come by from big corporations.

While the sting of the slap still hurts, it's nice to see an actual apology in the tone of the letter, which to me was in many ways more important than the money. I believe this kind of open letter for the world to see, and open acknowledgment of a mistake, is as unprecedented as the price cut itself was. Cynics will say it's just a smooth way to cover their tracks so they can prime us to buy more stuff. Maybe so, but it's still much better than the alternative of them saying or doing nothing. At the very least tonight when I get home I'll be able to look at the Apple logo on my iMac without cringing :)
My feelings exactly. This wasn't about money so much as it was about taking advantage of your most faithful and trusted customers. It was Apple's intention to lower the price two months later from the get-go, and it was dishonest of them to purposely way overcharge us on iDay knowing that because we trust Apple, we would buy it anyway.

It's too bad for Apple at any rate, because they will no longer achieve the same amount of support on the opening day of a new product. Once trust is gone, it's really hard to get it back. Everyone who bought an iPhone on iDay will definitely be more hesitant on the next iDay for iPhone V2.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Well something is better than etc etc

Apple really didn't have to do anything so I think its a nice jesture even if it IS a ploy. A free headset! cool. Now APPLE if you are really paying attention please fix the 6 or so flaws on the iPhone! Some VOLUME on the alerts, camera controls (read ZOOM), etc.