Steve Jobs played a key role in design of iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, May 17, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Interesting story tonight regarding Steve Jobs involvement in the design of the new iPhone. Bloomberg says the new iPhone is a "complete overhaul" and that Jobs worked closely on the new iPhone.

Thoughts?

#1 chris, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I like complete overhaul idea. On the other hand it also scares me lol
    I don't want a bigger phone. Going back to a curve would be awesome.
    I'm sure there all kinds of Steve jobs ideas still floating around that place.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If they keep the size of the device in the same ballpark as the current gen, would you be on board with a bigger display?

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I heard that before right after 4S was released

5. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Absolutely. I am not opposed to them stretching the screen. I like the current size of the phone. I however comma do not see them making a bigger screen without making the overall size bigger. I am only an armchair fabricator though :)

Of course it being an iPhone will make me give them a little leeway on making the device a skoosh(sp) bigger.

6. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I am super excited for a larger screen, although I still love the design of the 4/4S.

7. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Good. I will be buying the new iPhone now.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

8. wellerp68

wellerp68 New Member

I don't need a bigger iPhone and really don't care for a bigger screen. I just hope the keep the design the same. I like the distinct look the iPhone has over all the imitators. If updating anything, battery life and making it a bit more sturdier.

9. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

I am not that excited about a bigger screen... It just means it'll hardly fit in my pocket (yes, skinny jeans). :p
    I would love to have a curve back though, somehow I find the iPhone 4/4S's back is quite sharp... I want me some curves.

10. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Love the 4/4s form factor.
    Must have bigger screen :)

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Since the 3GS was my first iDevice, I'm partial to the curved back design. While the 4/4S is a fantastic design, personally don't care for the glass back (great design esthetic, far outweighed by the added fragility) or monolithic look. I will concede that the hard angles likely were chosen to allow maximum space inside for hardware, which I appreciate.
    I do hope for a bigger screen, and would not be unhappy if the overall dimensions increased a bit in order to incorporate one.
    I have big hands, so more screen real estate would still be manageable.
    I've seen mock ups of a mitered/chamfered back edge. That should satisfy both camps.
    It's not like I use my phone naked anyway (well maybe in the shower, thanks Lifeproof) so it's sort of a moot point anyhow....
    It would be nice if I had the dough to just replace an iDevice should it get damaged. Would dig being able to use them in their naturally designed state. Reality dictates my family needs to encase our iPhones and iPad.

12. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I have a larger hand with long fingers so I might be able deal with a larger screen versus the average person. Right now, I'm able to type this reply with just my thumb while cradling my dog with my other hand. The average person might not be able to do this as easily with a larger screen.
    YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

13. Glitzy34

Glitzy34 New Member

I love my iPhone 4 and I'm gonna be sad to get rid of it even for the new iPhone. I hope its gorgeous! I really love the design of the iPhone 4/4s. Gonna be reluctant to part with it

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I trust Apple will do a great job with the redesign. They are not a company that takes something as important as major product design lightly. I suspect it will bring some of what you love in the iPhone 4S and improve upon it.

15. iappstuff

iappstuff New Member

Whatever the design is I'm sure everyone who says they won't get it will be standing in a long line like everybody else on the release date. I know I will.

16. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

I would not be adverse to some curves either... but skinny jeans? Really?

17. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Pretty much this. We go through this nonsense with every new iPhone.

Gimme.

18. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

no matter what it is i think i'll be getting it. i'm starting to loathe my 4...

bigger, yes please. i have way too much room in my pockets.
    i wonder if they'll have the white one this year on launch date.... :ROFLMAO:

as for the topic: i'm sure that steve put an amazing effort in to the next phone and i can't wait to see what he's done. i just really hope it's different than the mockups i've seen floating around..