Steve Jobs played a key role in design of iPhone 5

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Interesting story tonight regarding Steve Jobs involvement in the design of the new iPhone. Bloomberg says the new iPhone is a "complete overhaul" and that Jobs worked closely on the new iPhone.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I like complete overhaul idea. On the other hand it also scares me lol
I don't want a bigger phone. Going back to a curve would be awesome.
I'm sure there all kinds of Steve jobs ideas still floating around that place.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I like complete overhaul idea. On the other hand it also scares me lol
I don't want a bigger phone. Going back to a curve would be awesome.
I'm sure there all kinds of Steve jobs ideas still floating around that place.
If they keep the size of the device in the same ballpark as the current gen, would you be on board with a bigger display?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
If they keep the size of the device in the same ballpark as the current gen, would you be on board with a bigger display?
Absolutely. I am not opposed to them stretching the screen. I like the current size of the phone. I however comma do not see them making a bigger screen without making the overall size bigger. I am only an armchair fabricator though :)

Of course it being an iPhone will make me give them a little leeway on making the device a skoosh(sp) bigger.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I am super excited for a larger screen, although I still love the design of the 4/4S.

wellerp68

Oct 6, 2010
DC
I don't need a bigger iPhone and really don't care for a bigger screen. I just hope the keep the design the same. I like the distinct look the iPhone has over all the imitators. If updating anything, battery life and making it a bit more sturdier.

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
I am not that excited about a bigger screen... It just means it'll hardly fit in my pocket (yes, skinny jeans). :p
I would love to have a curve back though, somehow I find the iPhone 4/4S's back is quite sharp... I want me some curves.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Love the 4/4s form factor.
Must have bigger screen :)

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Since the 3GS was my first iDevice, I'm partial to the curved back design. While the 4/4S is a fantastic design, personally don't care for the glass back (great design esthetic, far outweighed by the added fragility) or monolithic look. I will concede that the hard angles likely were chosen to allow maximum space inside for hardware, which I appreciate.
I do hope for a bigger screen, and would not be unhappy if the overall dimensions increased a bit in order to incorporate one.
I have big hands, so more screen real estate would still be manageable.
I've seen mock ups of a mitered/chamfered back edge. That should satisfy both camps.
It's not like I use my phone naked anyway (well maybe in the shower, thanks Lifeproof) so it's sort of a moot point anyhow....
It would be nice if I had the dough to just replace an iDevice should it get damaged. Would dig being able to use them in their naturally designed state. Reality dictates my family needs to encase our iPhones and iPad.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I have a larger hand with long fingers so I might be able deal with a larger screen versus the average person. Right now, I'm able to type this reply with just my thumb while cradling my dog with my other hand. The average person might not be able to do this as easily with a larger screen.
YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

Glitzy34

Jun 22, 2012
I love my iPhone 4 and I'm gonna be sad to get rid of it even for the new iPhone. I hope its gorgeous! I really love the design of the iPhone 4/4s. Gonna be reluctant to part with it

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I love my iPhone 4 and I'm gonna be sad to get rid of it even for the new iPhone. I hope its gorgeous! I really love the design of the iPhone 4/4s. Gonna be reluctant to part with it
I trust Apple will do a great job with the redesign. They are not a company that takes something as important as major product design lightly. I suspect it will bring some of what you love in the iPhone 4S and improve upon it.

iappstuff

May 30, 2010
Whatever the design is I'm sure everyone who says they won't get it will be standing in a long line like everybody else on the release date. I know I will.

furndaddy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 16, 2010
Indiana
I am not that excited about a bigger screen... It just means it'll hardly fit in my pocket (yes, skinny jeans). :p
I would love to have a curve back though, somehow I find the iPhone 4/4S's back is quite sharp... I want me some curves.
I would not be adverse to some curves either... but skinny jeans? Really?

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Whatever the design is I'm sure everyone who says they won't get it will be standing in a long line like everybody else on the release date. I know I will.
Pretty much this. We go through this nonsense with every new iPhone.

Gimme.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
no matter what it is i think i'll be getting it. i'm starting to loathe my 4...

bigger, yes please. i have way too much room in my pockets.
i wonder if they'll have the white one this year on launch date.... :ROFLMAO:

as for the topic: i'm sure that steve put an amazing effort in to the next phone and i can't wait to see what he's done. i just really hope it's different than the mockups i've seen floating around..