Still on 3G after update to iOS 5.1

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Kevdog, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

After updating the wife's iPhone 4, it is still on 3G. The latest update for 4G internet must only work for devices that have the A5 processor or above. Be nice if Apple had more description on updates to let people know which devices will get an update.

2. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

If you are on AT&T you should get the 4G logo. That doesn't magically make your phone a 4G LTE device, though. You will still be receiving a 3G signal. Your speeds may approach 4G LTE speeds which is how AT&T got to slip that 4G logo in there. Your iPhone 4 does NOT have an LTE radio receiver.

Sorry.

3. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

Does 5.1 make any changes to Verizon's iPhone 4s Internet speed ?

4. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

5. Daking618

Daking618 Member
    Bronze

I can't download iOS 5.1 I wanna download iPhoto

6. applejosh

applejosh Member
    Bronze

I believe I read somewhere that the 4G logo only appeared on iPhone 4Ss. It has the chipset which allowed the higher speed "3G" connection (not sure of its acronym) that AT&T/T-Mobile have been touting as "4G" in their commercials (and subsequently allowed by whatever governing body oversees that terminology). (Not to be confused with the original "4G" spec which was LTE (and WiMax). Also, the iP4S does not have those speeds on T-Mobile. I only mentioned them as they tout their faster 3G network as 4G, in terms of speed, for their phones. You still only get EDGE if you use an iPhone on T-Mobile network.)

7. itsalexaye

itsalexaye Member
    Bronze

On AT&T there is a false 4G icon. It's actually AT&T HSPA+ network which is more like 3.5G

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

8. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Nobody got a speed bump with this software update and nobody got a stronger connection. It only displays the 4G logo on AT&T when you're connected. You've always had the same connection, but now the screen just shows the icon for that 4G connection.