Stolen activation?

Kplus

Jul 3, 2007
I know there was another thread on this, but it didn't quite answer the question that i had. Namely, If you have a stolen iPhone is it possible to activate it? NO, i don't have a stolen iPhone and NO im not looking for one, i am however looking to get one off of eBay and am afraid of it being stolen goods as it happened to a buddy of mine a year or two ago through craigs list. I know the phone cant be re-activated if it already has been, but if the phone "fell of the back of a truck" would it still be usable/activateable? i just don't want to go to the hassle of going through eBay only to find out i have a $600 iBrick. And yes ive been hunting everywhere around me for one, i just cant wait anymore.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I think you need an iPhone sim card. Sorry Im not sure.

joolee

Jun 30, 2007
The Apple Store folks actually told us to get someone to buy the phone for us

We were asking a store on a different island in Hawaii if they could ship an iPhone to us. They said no, but that we should have a friend come in and buy it and then ship it to us. We asked all kinds of questions about the receipt, how to return it, blah, blah, blah.

What it really came down to is that once you've registered the phone, that's YOUR phone. These things come with a MAC address, so I'm ASSUMING if someone stole your phone registered to YOU, then you could have it locked out of the system (that's what AT&T has done with other mobile phones in the past). But if one fell off the truck and had never been activated, then I would say that's your phone.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Yeah if a phone was stolen and reported by an individual or even if a shipment of new phones were stolen, I am pretty sure they would be able to detect them on activation.

They may very well activate them just in order to gather more information until they come get you. :)

mori

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
a friend of a friend stole 2 iPhones from a att store,,,,lol they track him through the emi or something and got him at his house.

thats another thing i wanna know same friend of a friend wants to sell me an iPhone

but its its stolen i want to know if i can aticate it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
a friend of a friend stole 2 iPhones from a att store,,,,lol they track him through the emi or something and got him at his house.

thats another thing i wanna know same friend of a friend wants to sell me an iPhone

but its its stolen i want to know if i can aticate it.
Run don't walk away from this deal.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Run don't walk away from this deal.
The same friend of a friend wants to sell you an iphone- and you're already aware that he has stolen 2 of them. You're seriously considering buying from this "friend?"

I don't understand. Why put yourself through undue worry and stress. You don't need a middle man to get you an iphone- buy it yourself from some place reputable.