Stolen, being used, how to locate it?

Nov 24, 2008
My phone disappeared at the Albany NY Airport. I was there so briefly I have to think theft. I have suspended my iPhone now, but I have the records of their data and phone usage. I have reported it to the County NY police who say, even if it was stolen, the perpetrators can say it was found (ie lost) and there's little to do about it.

Is there any recourse to finding it that anyone can think of? Is it traceable by the GPS locator somehow?:mad: What haven't I thought of? Tempted to find a detective.

Obsessing.....

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Sadly all you can do is report the Serial/ and Imei number to the police and hope for the best :(
-My iPhone was stolen about a month ago and I've tried everything to get it back...even finding out who done it but the cops cant find proof on the matter and are currently just checking pawn shops for it

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
If it's a 3g. it should have GPS capabilities.
Wouldn't that help authorities in any way?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
When I told the cops about my theft, they said that eventhough they will do their best to get it back I should probably start looking for another phone and to be very careful with the next :(
-Apple CAN trace it but WONT because of cost and other legal matters...luckily for me I had the Passcode lock on and a program from cydia called LockDown so who ever has it cant do anything with it cause its completely locked, but the IMEI number has been reported and the phone will reject any sim inserted ;)

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
Sadly all you can do is report the Serial/ and Imei number to the police and hope for the best :(
-My iPhone was stolen about a month ago and I've tried everything to get it back...even finding out who done it but the cops cant find proof on the matter and are currently just checking pawn shops for it
Honestly the police probably had higher priorities than your iPhone and didn't bother trying to recover it. Sad to think but its true.

There is a program called trackmyi that you can install and enable and run in the background of your phone. log in on line and report stolen and it will show you where its at. I suggest everyone get this

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
Yeah cause I reported to the school cops so I kinda knew I would never see it again :(
-Im gonna try that lost iPhone program though ;)
To bad it cant be enabled on an already stolen phone that would be awesome, but its good to put it on your phone now.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
there should be an application that can report the location!dammit thats gotta be frustrating..