Stolen iPhone & computer, restoring iPhone from backups

Y2k

Sep 10, 2011
North Miami Beach, Florida
Hello.

Recently I lost both my iPhone and my laptop to theft. I synced and backed up regularly, and at least thankfully, I backed up my entire computer to a portable hard drive. My contacts/photos/what have you are still here but in the backup files from iTunes (the stuff in the mobilesync folder in app data) but I can't find a .ispw file in there.

I can view the data using programs like backup extractor, but I really don't want to manually input all 500 of my contacts.

I've been looking on google but it's hard to find an answer for this exact situation. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to copy backup data from iTunes onto a new phone?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
iTunes shouldn't force you to update unless you're restoring. You will have to update to 4.3.5 if you need to restore and you forgot to save any of the older SHSHs. However, you can still backup the version that's currently on the phone right now with iFaith.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Ok thanks! I did that, even though I wanted to avoid it, cause now iTunes demands that I have to update my firmware (goodbye, jailbreaking)
You should never be forced to update to a newer firmware. Just ignore the iTunes pop-ups.

Y2k

Sep 10, 2011
North Miami Beach, Florida
I did. To restore firmware, iTunes demands you to update. I tried to shift restore using the backup data, but iTunes wouldn't read it without it being in .ispw. To restore back to factory, it wouldn't let me do it until I clicked upgrade.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I did. To restore firmware, iTunes demands you to update. I tried to shift restore using the backup data, but iTunes wouldn't read it without it being in .ispw. To restore back to factory, it wouldn't let me do it until I clicked upgrade.
But what we're saying is that you shouldn't have needed to restore. If you follow the all of the steps, you can simply sync your phone with the new computer when you're done.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think his new computer (and backup) don't have a saved .ipsw to install on his phone, so iTunes is making him download the latest one. I don't think the tutorial in the iTunes section touches on transferring .ipsw's.

So you may need download the old firmware and put it here:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes
Vista/7: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates