Stop PMing me about the GM seed

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
1) A user has already put the GM seed on their iPhone without it being registered to a developer. In every other beta release if your device was not registered it would immediately put your phone in the iTunes restore screen.

do I recommend it...NO, but it's your device...do what you want.

2) I am no longer accepting new beta testers. I have 2 UDIDs that I will register if they experience problems (the guinea pigs from number 1 up there), otherwise...the answer is no.

3) If you cannot research enough to figure out how to put the update on your phone, not even a little....I'm not gonna help.

4) If you PM me about 3.0 GM seed and have 0 posts I will simply delete your PM unanswered.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Don't worry about it, shutter13! You've been extremely helpful to numerous people on this forum and have added them as beta testers for no charge! You are Da Man for that in my book! :laugh2:

Everybody leave the man alone! ;)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Yeah leave him alone! Don't worry it will be out next week so if you waited this long you can wait until next week. And like he said you can put it on your phone and it should work. This is supposed to be the final release so just put it on and if it doesn't work you only have until the 17th without your phone.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Yes it would but if you want to can't wait till then for the through iTunes public release then I'm just saying go ahead and try it. I could never go that long ;)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
So have they bricked their phones?
Looks like it's the final release which means you don't have to be registered. I bet this is Apples plan to get people updated before the 17th so their servers take as little of a hit as possible.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
They seem to be doing fine, both have posted that they have completed the update, activated and they are working fine.

So if you just got to have it, go for it!

I take no responsibility if you brick your phone till next wednesday when it goes live.

Sorry for the rant guys, I had several PMs one right after the other filling up my inbox while I'm trying to help people that actually contribute to this site. All of them had 0 or 1 posts. I understand enthusiasm, but hell I offered free addition over a month ago, they could have contributed to the site and been on the list awhile ago.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
They seem to be doing fine, both have posted that they have completed the update, activated and they are working fine.

So if you just got to have it, go for it!

I take no responsibility if you brick your phone till next wednesday when it goes live.

Sorry for the rant guys, I had several PMs one right after the other filling up my inbox while I'm trying to help people that actually contribute to this site. All of them had 0 or 1 posts. I understand enthusiasm, but hell I offered free addition over a month ago, they could have contributed to the site and been on the list awhile ago.
I could understand why you had a little rant, it's fine. They just heard it was available so they went looking and found you then PM'd you to death.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Looks like it's the final release which means you don't have to be registered. I bet this is Apples plan to get people updated before the 17th so their servers take as little of a hit as possible.
Cool, I'd hate to see people brick their phones.

AGQ03

Apr 20, 2009
MIA
I just did an update on my phone and for me it was completely smooth. Tested mms and is working and settings page seems faster as well.

Hey shutter, I don't mean to be rude, but didn't you kinda make a big deal about being a dev and all? Perhaps if you were a little more low-key you could have invited folks you wanted instead of getting inundated with PMs. No offense meant BTW.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Hey shutter, I don't mean to be rude, but didn't you kinda make a big deal about being a dev and all? Perhaps if you were a little more low-key you could have invited folks you wanted instead of getting inundated with PMs. No offense meant BTW.
Very very true. I am a dev and don't really bring it up ever and I don't ever get PMs from people asking to add them to the list or if I can send them beta stuff. I was very careful how I would say stuff so people wouldn't pick up that I was one. I think your one statement was pretty fair shutter that people would have to have 25 posts and add something to the site, but at least it is over now and people won't need anything from us devs :)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Not offended, but I do not think I made a "big deal" out of anything. I got tired of seeing people post asking for beta slots and seeing people post their email address, after having posted already that they were charging for a beta slot. I made one post, outlined the requirements, 25 posts (real posts) and you got a slot for free. Personally, I thought it was a nice gesture. Obviously that one post had nothing to do with the PMs, I started receiving the PMs after I offered 2 people a slot if they attempted to put the GM seed on their unregistered phones, just so we would know. I literally HAD to clean out my inbox 6 times today, probably should have let it fill up. If the PMs were due to my one post, then they deserved more of a rant than they got, 0 and 1 post. I was getting PMs "Can you add me" as the subject line and only their udid in the body. It was getting ridiculous. I was probably asking for it, being the one that posted the thread that it was up, and telling people in that thread I would send them links. Like I said, I'm sorry about the rant but it really was getting ridiculous. It worked though, all those types of PMs stopped.

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I am a little late to the party Shutter...I a was one who received the beta from you and was going to PM you about the GM...I'll hold off now.;)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Shutter- your not even my dev, yet you still took time to send me the link to the 3.0 GM

thanks man.

Only another year until you get to beta test 4.0 :)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I can't even imagine what we are going to see in the 4.0 update. This will be a hard one to follow.

boldblend

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
is it really that difficult to either..

A: not respond to unwanted PM's

B: deleting said unwanted PM's

I dunno, I guess this thread seemed a bit ostentatious to me!

but what do I know! I don't post to often myself... but I do read here everyday! :p