Stopping unsolicited and unwanted following by a "New User"

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
A user has started Following me here on eiC, and I don't know who they are. The fact that the word "analytics" comprises almost their entire username (I won't publish the entire username for their privacy) doesn't make me feel any better. Additionally, the user is only a "New Member." This user is following no fewer than six of us, including one Moderator. I went to their profile page and clicked on "Ignore," however, this has not stopped them from following me. What is my next step in this situation?

This unsolicited following is coming from a user who listed their location as "Tuen Mun," which some quick research showed is in "New Territories, Hong Kong."

Their stats:

Positive ratings received:
Neutral ratings received:

What legitimate reason would there be for a New User to start following six people, without so much as posting a single Message, and without even having the courtesy of PM'ing me to state who they were?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
A user has started Following me here on eiC, and I don't know who they are. The fact that the word "analytics" comprises almost their entire username (I won't publish the entire username for their privacy) doesn't make me feel any better. Additionally, the user is only a "New Member." This user is following no fewer than six of us, including one Moderator. I went to their profile page and clicked on "Ignore," however, this has not stopped them from following me. What is my next step in this situation?

This unsolicited following is coming from a user who listed their location as "Tuen Mun," which some quick research showed is in "New Territories, Hong Kong."

Their stats:

Positive ratings received:
Neutral ratings received:

What legitimate reason would there be for a New User to start following six people, without so much as posting a single Message, and without even having the courtesy of PM'ing me to state who they were?
Maybe it's someone who sees this forum as just another "social media" thing like Twitter or Instagram, and like the posts and comments of those they're following. No clue as to why they have yet to chime in with anything.

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He has already been banned. This type of activity is usually an attempt to appear established so the spam goes unnoticed when they finally start posting it. But we know all the tricks like that and notice it and they get banned just the same.

I don't see a way to remove oneself from a follower's list. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you still want it gone you'll need to PM Chris.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
He has already been banned. This type of activity is usually an attempt to appear established so the spam goes unnoticed when they finally start posting it. But we know all the tricks like that and notice it and they get banned just the same.

I don't see a way to remove oneself from a follower's list. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you still want it gone you'll need to PM Chris.
Thank you for your input! I knew something smelled fishy! I don't mind their ghost following me, since, as you say, they've already been banned.