Storage space and what size iPhone do you normally buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by ivantwilliams, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I was discussing the lack of supply for certain models and size of iPhones, hence spawned this thread.

1. What size (16GB, 32GB or 64GB) iPhone/iPad device do you normally buy?
    2. Is this size based on having content locally, easy access or you simply like to have all your stuff in one place?
    3. Do you steam a lot of films, music, and the likes, too, despite the storage space on your device?

I'm merely curious, and trying to spark conversation ;)

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

1. I started with a 16GB 3G, then a 32GB 4, a 64GB 4s and 5s (I skipped the 5.) I'd probably get a larger capacity model if it was offered.

2. I mainly want the space for having as much music on hand as I can. I used to be able to fit my entire iTunes library on a 64GB device but now I have to use more creative syncing methods.

3. I don't stream movies but I do stream YouTube videos, mainly stuff posted on FB and eiC.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. I always go with 32 GB on my iPhones.
    2. I put everything I want on my phone and I've never gone over 23 GB.
    3. I stream movies and store music locally. The only time I watch movies that are stored locally is when I'm flying.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

1) Always try to go for 32gb phones. 64gb IMO is too much as there are much easier ways of storing your media.

2) I prefer 32gb as it's just about the right amount of space I need. Family pictures probably take up around 5gb on my phone and I keep them there to show them as an when, not dependent on an internet connection. I don't opt for the 64gb as I have a large Dropbox account which I have nearly everything I could possibly need saved to it and this is accessible across-devices/platforms. Music isn't really an issue to me as I have around 6gb of my personal favourites stored on my iPhone in high quality (256kbps) and whatever else I need or want to listen to I use Spotify Pro.

3) I use Netflix and LoveFilm and tend to always stream this type of media. I also have a server which is accessed via VPN (if I'm not at home) or via SMB (when I'm on my home network) any films I've ripped from hard copy I hold digitally on there for ease of use.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

1. I went with the 16gb this time to save money. Would rather have 32gb or more.
    2. Most of my used space is photos and apps.
    3. I don't stream movies and have very few songs on my phone. I have 6gb available out of 13.3 capacity.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've always gone with the biggest they've made, up until the 64GB iPhone 4S. Reason being, I was lazy and it was easy to hit sync without worrying about some random song not making it onto my iPhone. Much of my storage space was in fact used up by my music library. I came to the realization that I don't listen to my entire library. In fact, I listen to a fraction of it. The key for me was figuring out just which music would make the cut. I started to refine my iTunes library, using the ratings system as a method of which songs make the cut. I'll include tracks from certain artists, with a rating of 3 or greater.

On the apps front, I routinely start from scratch with a factory restore. This keeps my apps lean and mean. It forces me to ask, "which apps do I need and use regularly".

Finally, I invested in a dedicated music player, in the form of a 32GB iPod touch. That can't hold all my music, but it too benefits from my systematic approach to what gets synced.

I wrote about this process in an article, iPhone Storage: You Don't Need to Buy The One With The Bigger GeeBees.

The only issue I've bumped into has been video. Now that I've got a daughter, I film video a lot more and had one instance where I ran out of space.

7. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I'm a huge believer in overkill. I go for the 64GB model normally, both for the future-proofing and for resale value. With iCloud and Dropbox integration however I'm starting to rethink that. 32GB should be plenty of space now. I might go with 32 when the iPhone 6 is released.

8. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I've gone for the largest size ever since the original iPhone (8 GB at launch). This time around for the 5S I bought it out of pocket so I went with 32 GB. It's hard for me to manage my music but like Chris said I rarely listen to most of it. I haven't gone so far as to rate every song but I have picked through it enough to give me wiggle room. I also agree with what Chris said about video. Now that I have a daughter I'm taking a whole lot more video but I do have a large Dropbox account where it syncs to so I could get rid of some of it on my phone.