Storage Usage of a Specific App

melvynadam

Dec 23, 2010
How can I find out how much space on my iPhone is taken up by individual apps and their associated data?
iTunes only shows the size of the original download which is only part of the story.

For example: I've installed iBooks and it's shown as 16MB but I've added hundreds of books so that number is out of date; the app for The Times (UK) in which I have a week of downloaded newspapers shows as 6.7MB; Evernote is using local storage and has hundreds of notes, images, and PDFs but shows as 21.3MB. You get the picture. How can I see what's really going on?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
To be honest I think you would have to jailbreak for a precise figure. Jailbreaking allows root access to your devices file system, thereforee allowing you to view internal folders and their sizes etc.

melvynadam

Dec 23, 2010
I've jailbroken. Is there a specific app from Cydia that you have in mind? Ideally, I'd like to get an app-by-app view rather than having to do the math myself by looking at many folders and subfolders...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Moved to Cydia Apps

iFile and SBSettings. Use SBSettings to find the path for a specific app. SBSettings > More > App Folders. Then use iFile to view the folder and check the file sizes. Var/Mobile/Applications.

melvynadam

Dec 23, 2010
This works. Thanks. However, it's neither pretty not simple. Almost makes me miss Windows Mobile which had a beautiful little app called "Where'sMySpace?".

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
This works. Thanks. However, it's neither pretty not simple. Almost makes me miss Windows Mobile which had a beautiful little app called "Where'sMySpace?".
Using Europa's method along with AppLinks is another option. Install AppLinks and navigate to /var/mobile/AppLinks and use the shortcuts there.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
iFile and SBSettings. Use SBSettings to find the path for a specific app. SBSettings > More > App Folders. Then use iFile to view the folder and check the file sizes. Var/Mobile/Applications.
It doesn't seem necessary to me to use SBSettings to find the path as iFile does this directly.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I've jailbroken. Is there a specific app from Cydia that you have in mind? Ideally, I'd like to get an app-by-app view rather than having to do the math myself by looking at many folders and subfolders...
Appsize from modmyi repo sounds like what you want. From the description: Find the size, install date, and more from any app by holding the home button and tapping the the app's icon