Store visit and new Generation iPhone

AlphaStrike9

Jun 14, 2007
i don't think youll have to pay the service fee unless you use cingular's internet. if this is true then you can sit in a mcdonalds parking lot and use their FREE wifi.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
I want an iPhone but I am having a problem with the pricing of this phone for the demographic that Apple is trying to reach. I also am getting angry at the comments made by some of the posters that seem to imply some sort of superiority complex. You shouldn't buy the iPhone if you have a problem with this..and comments like leave it for those of us who want them..What is wrong with the folks. At the end of the day it is simply a glamorized phone. The phone is overpriced but I would still buy it. Just don't like what it brings out in people.[/quote

some people will buy it to show off, some people will buy it to feel like the cool crowd some people will buy it because its just a cool phone. you are right if any body wants to buy one and are willing to pay for it what is the problem there is no problem, because we are all here waiting to here any news about this phone so we are all equal:laugh2:

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Ok hostage was the wrong word what i meant to say was if they were going to offer a $40 $50 or even a $100 data plan if you wanted the phone bad enough you would pay it.
Well said....sammyb.....:)

It's important for people here to know that Apple produces premium products. Therefore one must pay the premium price. It's as simple as that. You can either afford it or you cannot. As the saying goes... if you have to ask the price......you cannot afford it.

It's not about who can and cannot, it's just a fact of life, and it's all around us. One has the choice to buy a Mercedes or a Chevy. It's simply not a big deal. People that buy the Mercedes have worked very hard to get to that point, why come down on them? It's the result of our free enterprise system. To judge others and label them only reflects the weakness and the insecurity of the accuser. Why compare, Why Judge? Get over it and move on.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
i don't think youll have to pay the service fee unless you use cingular's internet. if this is true then you can sit in a mcdonalds parking lot and use their FREE wifi.
Yes you do. They are forcing you to get an unlimited plan, not a pay-as-you-go (aka, no data plan). It doesn't matter if you don't use it, or if you use hundreds of megs a month. Same price.

AlphaStrike9

Jun 14, 2007
Yes you do. They are forcing you to get an unlimited plan, not a pay-as-you-go (aka, no data plan). It doesn't matter if you don't use it, or if you use hundreds of megs a month. Same price.
i'm not saying its a pay as you go i'm just stating a rumor i heard and who knows it may be true.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Well said....sammyb.....:)

It's important for people here to know that Apple produces premium products. Therefore one must pay the premium price. It's as simple as that. You can either afford it or you cannot. As the saying goes... if you have to ask the price......you cannot afford it.

It's not about who can and cannot, it's just a fact of life, and it's all around us. One has the choice to buy a Mercedes or a Chevy. It's simply not a big deal. People that buy the Mercedes have worked very hard to get to that point, why come down on them? It's the result of our free enterprise system. To judge others and label them only reflects the weakness and the insecurity of the accuser. Why compare, Why Judge? Get over it and move on.
that is the attitude we should all have, we are sharing a great experience waiting for this phone using this forum every body is contributing something.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I want an iPhone but I am having a problem with the pricing of this phone for the demographic that Apple is trying to reach.
For clarification, let's look at the demographics. I think we all agree that this is an exceptionally sophisticated phone. Loaded with features that have been carefuly created by Apple engineers at great expense. In many ways this could be viewed as the "Ferrari" of phones. Steve Jobs wants to see these in the hands of celebrities, sports stars, rock stars, the elite of the world. This is the demographic it's intended for. Where it will get "noticed" by people who can purchase one without any thought as to the cost.

Perhaps a mistake is for the general public to think that this phone is targeted at them. It is not. It's a very special exclusive phone built in limited numbers to be purchased by the wealthy people who will give the phone a lot of exposure in their elite circles. The country clubs, the golf resorts, the luxury restaurants, the exotic destinations of the world. That's where Steve wants these phones to show up. These are the people and places he hangs out and he wants "his" phone to impress those people. He's a very big ego guy. (and that's not bad) He's going to make sure this project is a success. Then once established, then Apple can look at building more affordable versions. It's not any different than the first RAZR's which sold for $500. Now look around an nearly everyone has one.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
i'm not saying its a pay as you go i'm just stating a rumor i heard and who knows it may be true.
I guess anything is possible, but *I* find it doubtful, since that is one of the few things they have clearly stated publicly (that you have to sign a 2yr contract with an approved data plan)

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
For clarification, let's look at the demographics. I think we all agree that this is an exceptionally sophisticated phone. Loaded with features that have been carefuly created by Apple engineers at great expense. In many ways this could be viewed as the "Ferrari" of phones. Steve Jobs wants to see these in the hands of celebrities, sports stars, rock stars, the elite of the world. This is the demographic it's intended for. Where it will get "noticed" by people who can purchase one without any thought as to the cost.

Perhaps a mistake is for the general public to think that this phone is targeted at them. It is not. It's a very special exclusive phone built in limited numbers to be purchased by the wealthy people who will give the phone a lot of exposure in their elite circles. The country clubs, the golf resorts, the luxury restaurants, the exotic destinations of the world. That's where Steve wants these phones to show up. These are the people and places he hangs out and he wants "his" phone to impress those people. He's a very big ego guy. (and that's not bad) He's going to make sure this project is a success. Then once established, then Apple can look at building more affordable versions. It's not any different than the first RAZR's which sold for $500. Now look around an nearly everyone has one.
I think you're wrong in your speculation of his "target audience".
Just my opinion.
I also think that 500$ is a great price for THIS phone. Not a RAZR, but any phone with the features, interface and elite design that the iPhone has, is worth it, to me. The fact that they may very well sell the phone for 500$ even WITHOUT a contract, to ANYONE that wants one, is going to provide market penetration like the RAZR saw. The fact that you're paying 500$, that's it. No subsidized BS.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York

You are some what right how ever here is a product that every body wants no matter if they can afford it or not. Its all about the $$$$

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
You are some what right how ever here is a product that every body wants no matter if they can afford it or not. Its all about the $$$$
Exactly....people that are "less than" rich, still want the phone, and will still buy it. They just may need to actually SAVE their money, or wait 'til it's more affordable. Doesn't mean they're not going to want to, or be able to buy it.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I think you're wrong in your speculation of his "target audience".
Just my opinion.
I also think that 500$ is a great price for THIS phone. Not a RAZR, but any phone with the features, interface and elite design that the iPhone has, is worth it, to me. The fact that they may very well sell the phone for 500$ even WITHOUT a contract, to ANYONE that wants one, is going to provide market penetration like the RAZR saw. The fact that you're paying 500$, that's it. No subsidized BS.
I also think that's not exactly correct about the target audience. I think they're expecting to hit a very very large audience with this. Definitely not the bottom end market, that's for sure. But they're positioning this thing at the top of the broad market, not necessarily the elite market.

The Prada phone is targeted at that elite market. And they probably won't even break a million on those. Apple's going for 10M to start.

I'd also suggest to everyone that this is the FIRST iPhone on the market. Expect Apple to do exactly the same thing they did with iPods. Start high and work down the food chain.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Hey they should give one to Paris Hilton when she gets out of jail imagine the news coverage she is going to get.

IPhone_Chica

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007

Wow..and you are serious..This phone isn't marketed to the elite otherwise that would not produce 10 Million. But this is the exact thinking that surrounds the Apple brand. This product is revolutionary but the target market is not clear. I love the phone but people are actually comparing the iPhone to a ferrari..get the bleep outta here. That is crazy. having an iPhone doesn't make you better than someone without one just like having a ferrari doesn't make you better than the next person just richer. I feel bad for society today because people honestly do rate themselves by the things they have. Just horrible.:(

Shon

May 20, 2007
Does any rep know?

I went to 3 stores today 2 ATT 1 Apple. First store ATT i asked the rep if they were going to sell the phone as soon as they opened the doors? he said yes then i asked if there was going to be enough phones for every body he stated they were shipping out 3 mill phones ATT wants every body to have one, then I asked how about the data plan he said it was going to be $40 and stated thats how ATT makes it's money.

Second store Apple I asked the rep time of sell he stated at 6 pm they will close the store maybe at 4pm to get ready for 6pm, then i asked will it be activated at the store he stated he was not sure maybe it would be done by phone. so I said well it sounds like any body can just buy one and then sell it on e-bay he said I guess so. then I asked how many he said they would not be enough for every body.

Third store ATT not sure what time they are going to start selling it, also stated not enough for every body and also said he is telling every body to wait for the next generation iPhone that it will be faster is going to have 3G and get this its coming out in September. lol and data plan also $40.

It sounds to me no body knows anything!

I had the same problem the three stores told me they don't have any information. One rep told me the phone is coming out in July or August!:oops:

Shon

May 20, 2007
I want to know does any cingular rep know anything about the iPhone?

Every cingular/AT&T store I have visited told me they don't know anything. I have talked to several reps and they don't seem happy about the phone. I was asked why would I spend that kind of money for a phone, since I have a ipod. I also was told the phone will not be out until late July or August.:mad:

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Wow..and you are serious..This phone isn't marketed to the elite otherwise that would not produce 10 Million. But this is the exact thinking that surrounds the Apple brand. This product is revolutionary but the target market is not clear. I love the phone but people are actually comparing the iPhone to a ferrari..get the bleep outta here. That is crazy. having an iPhone doesn't make you better than someone without one just like having a ferrari doesn't make you better than the next person just richer. I feel bad for society today because people honestly do rate themselves by the things they have. Just horrible.:(
Just because some body has a Ferrari does not mean they are not in debt up to their eye balls people are posers and want to feel superior to others whether they are rich or not.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Every cingular/AT&T store I have visited told me they don't know anything. I have talked to several reps and they don't seem happy about the phone. I was asked why would I spend that kind of money for a phone, since I have a ipod. I also was told the phone will not be out until late July or August.:mad:
They are not happy because they cant get one, while every body else can

IPhone_Chica

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
They are not happy because they cant get one, while every body else can

No they are not happy because they are going to have to deal with a bunch of crazies with no grasp on reality. don't for a second think that the iPhone fanboys are going to be polite and patient and they have been waiting for this thing forever..You have no grasp on reality.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
No they are not happy because they are going to have to deal with a bunch of crazies with no grasp on reality. don't for a second think that the iPhone fanboys are going to be polite and patient and they have been waiting for this thing forever..You have no grasp on reality.
Why so much anger?