Store visit and new Generation iPhone

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I think you're wrong in your speculation of his "target audience".
Just my opinion.
I also think that 500$ is a great price for THIS phone. Not a RAZR, but any phone with the features, interface and elite design that the iPhone has, is worth it, to me. The fact that they may very well sell the phone for 500$ even WITHOUT a contract, to ANYONE that wants one, is going to provide market penetration like the RAZR saw. The fact that you're paying 500$, that's it. No subsidized BS.
My comments on the target market, are based on several considerations one of which is "product placement"

Often in nearly any movie if a laptop is pictured, it's usually a Mac. A particular movie that comes to mind from a few years ago was "You've Got Mail". Meg Ryan used a PowerBook and every time there was a shot of her in front of it, they made sure it was in the frame with the Apple Logo lit up prominently.

Interestingly, her co-star Tom Hanks used a ThinkPad, yet every time he was shown at the computer, the logo was blacked out. This was certainly not by happenstance, it was Apples willingness to pay to have their product "out there" in front of the public.

Therefore I believe that Steve Jobs will want the same exposure for the new iPhone.

That said, I agree with you as well. You have brought up some very valid points. From my perspective you are right on, in terms of the value at the current price. There is no question that this is a milestone product and I for one, am very interested in watching how all of this unfolds.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
My comments on the target market, are based on several considerations one of which is "product placement"

Often in nearly any movie if a laptop is pictured, it's usually a Mac. A particular movie that comes to mind from a few years ago was "You've Got Mail". Meg Ryan used a PowerBook and every time there was a shot of her in front of it, they made sure it was in the frame with the Apple Logo lit up prominently.

Interestingly, her co-star Tom Hanks used a ThinkPad, yet every time he was shown at the computer, the logo was blacked out. This was certainly not by happenstance, it was Apples willingness to pay to have their product "out there" in front of the public.

Therefore I believe that Steve Jobs will want the same exposure for the new iPhone.

That said, I agree with you as well. You have brought up some very valid points. From my perspective you are right on, in terms of the value at the current price. There is no question that this is a milestone product and I for one, am very interested in watching how all of this unfolds.

If you watch an NBC interview with Steve done a while back, he makes comments like "this IS the future", and stuff like that. That's what I believe. He knows, we know it, and the EXPLOSION of these things onto the market is gonna show it. All these websites and tech review guys talkin' sh*t are about to eat their words. I guarantee this thing is going to sell like HOTCAKES, as soon as everyone else (meaning the NON uber-tech ppl like ourselves) finds out about it. I promise the first few times one of these people plays with it, interacts with it, they will want it. Unless they're one of those that only buys the cheap cell phones. And, they won't really matter for market share anyway, 'cause they practically have zero effect on it, now. lol

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
If you watch an NBC interview with Steve done a while back, he makes comments like "this IS the future", and stuff like that. That's what I believe. He knows, we know it, and the EXPLOSION of these things onto the market is gonna show it. All these websites and tech review guys talkin' sh*t are about to eat their words. I guarantee this thing is going to sell like HOTCAKES, as soon as everyone else (meaning the NON uber-tech ppl like ourselves) finds out about it. I promise the first few times one of these people plays with it, interacts with it, they will want it. Unless they're one of those that only buys the cheap cell phones. And, they won't really matter for market share anyway, 'cause they practically have zero effect on it, now. lol
Your comment on people that buy cheap cell phones is 100% correct. Why? Because these are people that only want a phone and are not tech enthusiasts like those of us on the forum.

While I agree with the statement that this is the future, (for now) I also remind myself that Steve Jobs is a great marketing person. Do I buy into every word he utters? Absolutely Not! Who made him the expert of the world? To worship him and a material product, is nothing short of cult like behavior. Where is ones self respect, and self esteem if one is a hero worshiper? Those poor lemmings simply drink the cool aid and perish.

I am looking forward to the iPhone with as much enthusiasm as anyone, however I'm also keeping it in perspective. It will be an addition to my collection of other new high end mobile phones that I've purchased and continue to purchase.

However that said, as an experienced tech person, I have no unrealistic expectations, if it lives up to the hype - Great! If it does not - I will not be surprised, nor disappointed. The first generation of anything tech is iffy, and as a long time Apple customer, it's been my experience that the real winner is the second generation of the product.

Time will tell.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Now picture this you are in a Starbucks you put your iPhone down to get your money out what are the odds you will pick the right one up.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Now picture this you are in a Starbucks you put your iPhone down to get your money out what are the odds you will pick the right one up.
Actually I'm in a Starbucks now, writing this on my new MacBook Pro.

And to think, I was just wondering why the people buying drinks had these thin shiny things in their hands.........Wow!~ I've just spotted iPhones in public. I've got to reset my watch to read the 29th........:cool:

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Actually I'm in a Starbucks now, writing this on my new MacBook Pro.

And to think, I was just wondering why the people buying drinks had these thin shiny things in their hands.........Wow!~ I've just spotted iPhones in public. I've got to reset my watch to read the 29th........:cool:
were. I want one, oh yes and a large mochestrawberygranderoastedvanilladragonblendsumatralate. please

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Hey my reliable source just told me the 3rd generation i phone will be implanted in your head with a zillion gb and theater like video not to mention x-ray vision oh and it can also tell time by the position of the sun.:laugh2:

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Every body keeps asking about GPS, so I looked at the calamari commercial again, if you look closely he types seafood in and the phone it automatically shows him were the spots are. how did the phone know what location he was looking for.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Every body keeps asking about GPS, so I looked at the calamari commercial again, if you look closely he types seafood in and the phone it automatically shows him were the spots are. how did the phone know what location he was looking for.
Because of google maps. lol.:p that doesn't mean it has gps. if it had gps it would know where he was. All of those locations are stored on a server, not beamed from a satalite.