Stores expecting less than 40 iPhones each!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
it sounds like the 40-50 number is for AT&T stores only.

i expect for Apple stores to have a couple hundred at least.

fingers crossed!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I don't know anymore. I think 40-50 would be plenty and ATTingular said something like 12 per store. That's more of a fearful number to me. :eek:

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
don't forget it may actually be less per store. the survey says the MOST any store said they MIGHT get is 40.

12-15 could be closer to the truth. the relatively small store near my house said they wouldn't be getting more than 2 or 3.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Not surprising. Apple is probably keeping the motherload for their own stores and inventory.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I called one of my local AT&T stores... when asked on how many they might get in, the rep mentioned they only get "a couple" phones when new models are introduced—whether that means the same for the iPhone, who knows...

I'm playing it safe... online store baby!

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
Don't mean to hijack.

This might have been covered in another thread but, how will the online purchasing work? Will it be available like 12am on the day it launches or what? I did hear from another thread that it would take 2-4 weeks to get your order in.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hmmm, but if you order online at Apple how will they set up your service contract with ATT? :eek:
I've got a feeling that when it all shakes out, Apple.com will be a Cingular/At&t agent just like Best Buy and Radio Shack when this all comes about. They'll be able to sell you the phone and upgrade your service with At&t and at the same time, they'll probably get renewal commissions from At&t.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I've got a feeling that when it all shakes out, Apple.com will be a Cingular/At&t agent just like Best Buy and Radio Shack when this all comes about. They'll be able to sell you the phone and upgrade your service with At&t and at the same time, they'll probably get renewal commissions from At&t.
I agree.

I am not surprised that At&T stores might only get less then 40 per store. Couple of reasons why:

1) Great phone with tons of hype, but it is still a $500+ cell phone. Think about it, store would rather not have enough to go around than have 20 unaccountanded for.

2) Very simply, Apple wants to sell the phone and get the full profit themselves. They are selling the phone to At&T for a discounted price and they only make the difference between that and what it costs to produce. If they sell more on Apple.com and Apple store they are getting the difference on what it costs to produce and the retail price.

I plan to go to my local Apple store the day of the release and I am confident there will be enough to go around.