Straight Talk iPhone 5 gsm unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Geo, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Hi.
    I am looking at the iPhone 5 from Walmart on Straight Talk. It's a good deal that I can pay over time.

Does anyone know if the gsm chip is unlocked? (Like Verizon's)?

Anyone try the phone on another US or other country network?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

According to an article on TUAW, you do get an unlocked phone with this "Straight Talk" thing from Walmart.

Be sure you read and understand the part of that article that warns you that after you use 2GB of your so-called "unlimited" data plan promised with the phone, your data transfer speed will be throttled (see explanation below). There is no mention in the article of any option to pay any amount to get an additional allotment of data transfer at non-throttled speeds. Unless you have ready access to Wi-Fi, you should look into this caveat.

Consider the act of walking. You can walk an unlimited amount of time, provided adequate caloric replenishment and recovery through sleep. Throttling is like getting shot in the thigh and for whatever reason your insurance will not cover the removal of the bullet until the start of the new month. You'll still be able to walk an unlimited amount of time with the bullet lodged in your thigh, but you will be slower, and walking will be painful.

3. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the answer.
    I'm ok with no LTE, since its just basic email and surfing the web.
    But still wanna hear from someone who tried the Straight Talk iPhone 5, with a gsm SIM card.