Straight to the keypad?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Figuring we're coming up close to the SDK, I was wondering if there was anybody in the know on whether there was a way for one to make an icon on the home screen go straight to the Phone -> Keypad screen, for those people who are used to dialing numbers, or for lending the phone to others for use (at which point they most likely dial someone whose contact info I don't have set yet)

and on a similar note, a way to make the default screen when in a call be the keypad (for example, dialing DTMF-automated systems requires an extra press besides what I'm used to on other phones)

Wishfully thinking the SDK is going to be available to all third-parties so that I can truly customize the iPhone to my exact preference...

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
This is probably one of the biggest down falls for the phone, the only way I know how to do it is if you have the passlock on. Then you can do an emergency call.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you leave the phone app on the keypad when you hit the Home button then it will be the first screen that is pulled up once you use the phone again, but other than that I am unaware of any other shortcut.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I did have it on the keypad when switching away from it, but the problem is when the phone clears the RAM of older apps, including the phone, it goes back to the default, which is the contacts list, and it is REALLY easy to force it out of the buffer. Just have to load up a page or two in Safari, or play a couple songs or a video on the iPod.

It would be nice if with the SDK came a way to make icons that go straight to specific screens of the desired app. I would totally shove mail out of my dock and put keypad in its place. (although the thing doesn't really resemble a dock since it doesn't stay open no matter what app you're in)