Strange battery phenomenon occurred..

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by flatbacks21, Nov 27, 2013.

1. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

The other day I grabbed my phone to use and as I unlocked the battery life was at 23%.. About 30 sec later battery literally dropped to 3% and then phone shut down in a matter of minutes.. Not sure what to think, but I hope my battery is okay.. I will see if i can recreate the same conditions and get the drain..

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think the battery is fine. It just needed to be calibrated. Letting it drain down zero and power itself off will calibrate it. It should start reading more accurately now.

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Does the battery actually have to be drained to nothing ( phone shutdown ) to initiate re-calibration, ? or is a drain down to 'just a bit left ' ie 5% or so then a recharge adequate as a procedure ? I get the heebie-jeebies about dropping right off the scale in a locale where power blackouts are maybe a bit more frequent than in North America, so leave 'that little bit' for either an emergency call, or to advise the Light and Power people that the power is down ....... Call me paranoid, but .... :)

Sent using iCafe app

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

From all I've read, it needs to be below 20%. I don't know if it does any better at 1%.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

5. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Super.... I've been using 5 as my benchmark as a floor .. Maybe it's simply a deeply set fear of the 'empty tank' syndrome in my flying days :)

Sent using iCafe app

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The other day my phone was at 6% then died. A little while later I could turn it on, but then minutes later it fully died. I was upset until an hour later when I made it home. I try to keep it charged all day, but that's hard of course.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

To calibrate, it has to drain to zero, power itself down and reboot when you charge it back up.

You can charge it as soon as it dies, so you'll only have a few minutes without your phone.

I do this about once a month.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Is "calibrate" different from a "maintenance" charge? I didn't know it had to run down to zero. The below 20% thing is what I've read for a maintenance charge.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you're overthinking this. If your battery accuracy is way off and going from, say, 30% to 10% in just a few seconds, let it drain to zero and shut itself off. I don't do any battery maintenance or try to keep it a certain percentage and not drop too low; I just use the phone and top it off throughout the day when I have access to a charger.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't have a problem with it. I was just curious if there was a difference in the two. But I think you answered my question. Thanks.

11. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

SO .... ( and this is NOT 'last-word-itis' :) - I'd like some comment ! ) .... Any read of major electronics journals, when on the subject of Li-On 'battery drain', indicate that an occasional drain is good, and might be necessary to optimize stuff, including gauge calibration, BUT that total discharge is a 'no-no' and can damage the battery. Apple engineering, knowing this full well, actually does the actual shut-down at a small percentage ABOVE total discharge, leaving the little bit ( un-indicated, for 'mom and the kids' ) to protect the battery. Thus the only way to totally discharge ( with possible negative consequence ) would be to discharge to shutdown, then leave the phone in that state for quite a while (days....) and a designed in safety margin lies between phone shutdown and totally discharged . That makes sense to me, and is consistent with so many other things engineered into Apple's products, that in the words of Sir Jony, in his iOS 7 intro, talks about good technology being invisible .
    Forgive my digress into the term "for Mom and the Kids" .... It was an often used pilots term, for the little 'extra' fuel a Captain would like to carry that was difficult to formally document with a clearly stated reasoning - other than something as such. Any pilot type reviewing a skippers flight plan would understand, many bean-counters and bureaucrats would not. :) David

Sent using iCafe app

12. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

When the wife and I got our 5s the battery life seemed terrible. I ran them till they powered off and the battery life has been great since.

My brother in-law was complaining about his battery life been bad and was going down to below 20% much faster than his old iPhone but never drained it all they way down. I told him to drain till if powered off a couple time and it been a huge improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using

#12 Docd, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I am glad to hear about the improvements. I will definitely have to do a battery calibration as they say at least once a month. I notice my iPhone die at weird percentages a lot.

Update: Today my iPhone 5 went from 43 to 23% in a matter of minutes. Wow!

#13 MoneyMaker79, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  14. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello Europa,
    Am really sorry my question might make you all laugh but i would like to know whether it is okay to charge everytime you see a plug point so that you wont drain out completely ? Also, if we do this, wont it harm the battery life ? I keep a practise to charge only once it reach 10%. Please advice !

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I apologize if you don't want others answering, but I'm quick. :)

It's not bad to charge it before it drains out completely. This is completely normal that most people do, including me, but if you start to notice your iPhone or other device shutting off at a high percentage, a calibration may be needed which is where you let it drain down completely on its own.

16. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Thanks for the info but am more concerned about anyone answering my query :) Though, the concept of battery calibration after iPhone is drained out totally is new for me, i would like to ask whether this is a standard feature for all mobile phones or is it just the Apple ?

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Personally, I think a lot of this battery calibration and maintenance stuff is urban legend, but that's just me...

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

In my opinion, it all depends on how one uses and charges their phone. If one charges it at say 50% or even 30, that could cause battery issues in the future. For me today my iPhone died at 13 and then I plugged it in and it started at 12. I read on this forum that a calibration is usually not necessary but once a month. As for other phones, that I am unsure about.

#18 MoneyMaker79, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, that will not cause battery issues. You're perpetuating a myth.
    Charge it whenever you want. It really doesn't matter. You don't need to wait until a certain percentage. I've always topped mine off throughout the day. What matters is the overall hours of usage over the years.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Overall hours of usage over the years? So...maybe living with my iPhone 24/7 isn't a great idea. Hehe. :)