Strange battery phenomenon occurred..

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
I have also heard if you keep charging your iPhone before 90% is consumed, then your battery life would be dead soon. Is it true ?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I have also heard if you keep charging your iPhone before 90% is consumed, then your battery life would be dead soon. Is it true ?
From what I'm reading on here now, the myth stands true until proven guilty. But does anyone really true know?

I usually will try to charge my iPhone when it gets down to 10-20%.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Nope. That's not true. You can keep it topped off.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Letting the battery drain down to where the phone shuts itself off is not a problem as the phone does so at a point where the battery is not quite completely exhausted. The phone will protect the battery from a complete discharge. I routinely allow the phone to run the battery down to the point of auto shutdown as a matter of course about once a month. Doing so lets the phone's battery calibration adjust as the battery gradually looses capacity over time and accurately display remaining battery life. Doing this as a routine does not shorten battery life in any way and may even extend it by some amount.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Let's see if I can get more help. Tonight I went to night class and now 2 hours later it's at 37%. It's been draining fast and even shutting off at weird percentages - 33, 35, 27 etc. I plug it in to charge and it turns on at that same percentage.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
If you have tried all the usual tricks of letting it run down to where the phone shuts off by itself followed by a full, uninterrupted, recharge (once or twice), hard reset, restore from back-up, restore as new etc. and none of that has worked it may be time to pay a visit to Apple if you have Apple Care+ for further diagnosis of your problem. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If you have tried all the usual tricks of letting it run down to where the phone shuts off by itself followed by a full, uninterrupted, recharge (once or twice), hard reset, restore from back-up, restore as new etc. and none of that has worked it may be time to pay a visit to Apple if you have Apple Care+ for further diagnosis of your problem. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I am definitely not restoring and losing my jailbreak. I will, however, let it shut off by itself and recharge to 100% soon. As for going to Apple, I have never had or needed Apple Care+. Actually now it's going to a less percentage, so it's not dying at a weird number anymore. But once it shuts off ill let it fully charge.

Thanks.

Last edited:

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Again, good luck and let us know how you make out. I bought my iPhone 5 when it first came out and have had no battery life issues with it, so you should not be having issues at this point. I don't think your jailbreak should figure into the battery issue you are experiencing but I am not jailbroken either and I am no expert.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Again, good luck and let us know how you make out. I bought my iPhone 5 when it first came out and have had no battery life issues with it, so it you should not be having issues at this point. I don't think your jailbreak should figure into the battery issue your are experiencing but I am no expert either.
I don't believe it's the jailbreak. Sadly, the battery, from my experience having an iPhone, has and will never be perfect.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
You can't restore and rejailbreak?
Welllll...ya see....I could...but I.I don't know. I'll miss my jailbreak for an hour! :(

In any case, I don't think it's the jailbreak. I will see after letting it fully go to 0% and die. Before it would die at 30%, and now it's going much lower so that is a plus.