strange email this morning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dfwgirl, Jul 24, 2010.

1. dfwgirl

dfwgirl New Member Bronze

I have 2 emails dated 1969 in my inbox that can't be deleted from there. These emails didn't show up in my other phone's inbox, just the iPhone. Of course I didn't open them; just not sure how i'll get rid of them. Anyone else get the emails?
  2. vrsc

vrsc Member Bronze

Do you have yahoo? My friend just got 3 of them yesterday and got weirded out. Not sure what's going on
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot Bronze

I think I read about this here at EIC but have no clue what I read. I would try a reboot and then if necessary I would delete the account and re-add it. That is usually a quick and easy fix. Let us know...
  5. Mickeylittle

I have yahoo but haven't had that problem but I was getting tons of deleted emails re-downloading again until I changed my email settings to say never delete from server. Works great now!
  6. dfwgirl

Yes, I have Yahoo...definitely strange.
  7. dfwgirl

Ok thank u. I'll give this a try. Since my original post, one has disappeared but the other email remains. Will reboot...
  8. Mickeylittle

Forget the "works great now" statement as it started downloading deleted emails once again!
  9. dfwgirl

Smh. I don't know what's going on with Yahoo lately. I'm thinking about completely switching to google like most ppl. I had the the deleted emails reappearing issue earlier this week. Hasn't happened again yet since then.
  10. JimD

JimD Member Bronze

Did they say "(No Sender) (No Subject)" and "This message has no content"?

I posted in the iPhone Software forum that sometimes a message I delete pops back up and I cannot get rid of it. Later it mutates into this "runt" message that is basically all blank - and it has a date of 1969. The only way to get rid of it is to reboot the phone.
  11. Myleeh

Myleeh New Member

I've been having problems with yahoo too. Spam-like e-mails are being sent from my account to people in my contacts. Luckily my yahoo is a secondary email account and I only have one person in my contacts.
  12. dfwgirl

Yep, that's exactly what it said. I'm guessing u use Yahoo also? You're right; a reboot is what got rid of it.
  13. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

It's been discussed before - but this is an iOS4 issue. My gmail has done the same thing. I just let them sit there and in about 24 hours they were gone. They didn't show up on gmail.com, only on my iPhone 4....
  14. JimD

JimD Member Bronze

For the record, no Yahoo here, I use GMAIL. I was certain this is an IOS4 bug, which is why I posted it in the iPhone software subforum.
  15. joeg679

joeg679 Member Bronze

Mickey, I was having the same problem where deleted emails were reappearing. I did the yahoo live help chat and the woman changed some setting on her end. I couldn't use my account for an hour, but it fixed it. She wouldn't tell me what had to be changed, which was weird, but it worked. Just do the live chat and explain the problem.
  16. dfwgirl

Oh IOS4, I see. Thank you
  17. joeg679

joeg679 Member Bronze

I would use gmail, but you can't really set up folders and I hate threaded emails.
  18. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

On the phone labels appear as folders. It's much better than yahoo, IMO.
  19. Watcher

Watcher Zealot Gold

Interesting... I've got 3 Yahoo accounts and all of mine are fine.
  20. adhdonnie

adhdonnie New Member

I have a Gmail account and was experiencing the same thing. I turned "Organize by Thread" to off under Setting > Mail, and haven't had the issue since. No restart necessary.
  21. JimD

JimD Member Bronze

There seems to be more than one symptom being discussed in this thread.

The issue where a mail message cannot be deleted, later becoming a totally blank message with a date of 1969, and only disappearing after a reboot (or possibly if you wait long enough - but I am impatient) has nothing to do with Yahoo or Gmail. It seems to me to be a bug in the iPhone's operating system (IOS4). Ar least it appears very infrequently, having only happened to me a handful of times out of a few weeks of ~100 messages a day.

Although I have experienced the "zombie email" symptom - where successfuly deleted emails return from the dead on the next fetch - I don't know what causes that. It has never happened (yet) on my iPhone 4, but I've seen it a number of times on my 3Gs.