Strange Flash Drive Problem

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
So yesterday I went to go watch 21 via flashdrive on my SanDisk U3 4GB Flashdrive when I noticed that i only had 422mb left. So i started deleting stuff, then I delete everything cause I don't need any of it. When I get the info about that flash drive it still tells me that I 422mb left!

Has anyone encountered this before where they suddenly lose memory on their flashdrive?

In the meantime, I am going to try the drive at work and see if I have any luck.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Just figured it out. Apparently there were hidden files. Not too sure how they got there because i just got it about a month ago.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think when you delete a file on your flash drive, OSX puts it in a "trash" folder... not actually delete it. So you'd have to empty the trash, or, like you did, delete the trash folder.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i think when you delete a file on your flash drive, OSX puts it in a "trash" folder... not actually delete it. So you'd have to empty the trash, or, like you did, delete the trash folder.
no drag the drive to the trash can...or if you are using windows you need to stop the drive by clicking safely remove hardware
i learned that the hard way and corrupted a lot of data on my flash drive

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's to eject it... she's talking about something completely different.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
That is what happened. I remember i cleared of my drive "To the Trash", but then didn't think of deleting my trash, and when I went to delete the hidden files, the files were named "trash...."

Thanks a lot!