Strange iTunes/iPhone problem...

AlexEvo

Sep 13, 2007
Let me first preface this with saying ALL of my music is legally obtained. I have not bought any music from iTunes as of yet however a sizable chunk of my collection came from buying songs off Napster and eMusic. The rest of it came from my collection of nearly 500 CDs.

So heres the problem, I have the latest version of iTunes as well as the latest version of the iPhone software. When i sync songs to my ipod nano or ipod video(5.5gen) it works just fine. But when i try to sync songs to the iPhone it doesn't do anything at all. When i try to drag/drop songs into the "music" folder of the iPhone it displays an icon that looks like a circle with a slash through it.

I've reinstalled the iTunes software twice now and still the same problem. i use the same USB cable for my ipod nano/ipod video as i do for the iPhone.

Is the iPhone unlike the ipods in that it will ONLY allow music bought from iTunes to be added to it? or is it like an ipod as steve jobs advertised when announcing the iPhone and it can play legally obtained MP3s?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I may not be understanding you clearly so just to be sure......

You have imported your music into iTunes?

You have created a separate playlist for your iPhone music?

You have dragged the music that you want on your iPhone from the music folder to your iPhone playlist?

You have attempted to sync your iPhone playlist to your iPhone and it will not sync?

Is that what's happening?

AlexEvo

Sep 13, 2007
Update: I reinstalled iTunes and used the Restore feature on my iPhone as well as playing around with some settings for file types in WinXP and settings in iTunes and it seems to be working now. Thanks!

ja11134

Sep 13, 2007
iTunes

I cant put music from my iTunes onto my iPhone. It won't allow me to drag music into it. Any sollutions?

I may not be understanding you clearly so just to be sure......

You have imported your music into iTunes?

You have created a separate playlist for your iPhone music?

You have dragged the music that you want on your iPhone from the music folder to your iPhone playlist?

You have attempted to sync your iPhone playlist to your iPhone and it will not sync?

Is that what's happening?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You can't drag, you have to sync.

AlexEvo

Sep 13, 2007
ja - select the sync option then make sure you make a selection as to what you want to sync: playlists, all files, etc. whichever you choose.

then make sure the files you want all have the box next to them checked then hit sync. oh yeah you have to hit "apply" before you exit the music sync settings tab. other than that its pretty straightforward and no problems.

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States
You can't drag, you have to sync.
I hate this function! Too much protection on the iPhone for music.

Im used to manually controlling my content on my Video iPod 30GB with the drag and drop.

iPhone won't do that. I created a playlist for every artist, selected which albums I wanted, and dragged them to my playlist.

I then sync this playlist, and it works.

Its another hoop to jump. Another crappy thing about no manual control, is the fact when your iPhone is connected to the computer, you CAN'T play songs from it.

bg12

Oct 5, 2007
Actually, i WAS able to drag and copy songs from my iTunes libarry for a couple of days. That was music purchased in iTunes Store as well as music form my own CDs. Thereafter I tried to copy some music from a different computer, and then iPhone went "crazy".. it deleted all previously copied music, and it was no longer possible to drag and copy but only to use the sync option. Back at the original PC it is also no longer possible to drag and copy but only to sync... But the problem is, that if I sync from 2 diff computers, the music copied to the iPhone from one of the computers will be erased when I sync with the other computer....

So... would it be possbile for me to drag and copy again? Anybody knows a sollution?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
To drag and drop like you can on an iPod is not possible with the iPhone. How you managed to do so at all is a mystery. Without that feature, you're correct, when you sync with separate computers only the music from that computer will be transfered to the phone.

bg12

Oct 5, 2007
I managed to drag and copy on 2 computers. After I copied several music files, I was asked if I wanted to sync purchased items from the iPhone to iTunes... and after that I could only sync.... The ONLY thing I can think of is, that the drag-copy funcion was possible before the first sync. after the first sync, it is only possible to sync and not copy. Although it is not really logical. It is so stupid... Now I will only be able to store my music on one computer otherwise the music will be deleted whenever I sync with 2 diff computers... I'm kind of disappointed with that.. Apple didn't do a good job there. I could expect that from Microsoft ;-)))

rah711

Jul 22, 2008
Hello
I was having the same problem and I think I have it. Click on the iPhone device in the left hand column. Then click on the left top SUMMARY tab. Scroll down(this is what I missed, didn't realize I needed to scroll down) to the Manually manage music and videos and check that box. That should do it. At least I hope it works for you, it did for me.