Strange Phone Call Erased my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by david803sc, Dec 17, 2007.

1. david803sc

david803sc New Member

I was driving over a bridge near my house in an area with full signal strength, I received an incoming call the caller ID said "unknown" I answered it but no one was there after about 10 seconds the call disconnected my phone did not re-boot but suddenly showed "no service" it was in this mode for about 3 minutes, I knew I was in an excellent signal area so this had me confused I went to my phone book and it was empty no contacts at all, but the contacts were there before the call, I also noticed my voicemail was reset and showed up that it wanted me to set it up like I did the first time after i purchased the iPhone, after about 3 minutes signal came back and it showed AT&T, the voicemail was back to normal but all of my contacts were gone.

I have never had any other calls that have showed up as "unknown" it seems as though the phone was somehow re-activated triggered by that phone call, but somehow it erased all my contacts in the process, everything else on the phone is ok.

I have been calling AT&T but they don't seem the believe me, has anyone else ever have anything like this happen to them?

David

2. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

that sounds really weird. i have had "unknown" callers before, but never experienced what you did. maybe it was just coincidence that you received this call and your iPhone experienced a glitch that caused your contacts to be erased at the same time?

whatever the case, i hope you find out what the cause is and that this doesn't happen to your iPhone again!

3. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Generally, "unknown" is somone with the caller ID blocked. Mostly, this would be telemarketers, creditors and the like, but can just as easily be a private party as well.
    You too can show as unknown to someone else just by going into settings, Phone, and Show my caller ID, and switch it to off. I do that when calling back a number I don't recognize to prevent someone harassing me if it happened to be a wrong number or some telemarketing service.
    As far as wiping out your contacts.... That's a little more difficult to explain, but it's possible, especially if it's a really good hacker. There are all sorts of tools out there for accessing mobile phones now, even without calling them. The FBI uses them to watch and listen to suspected terrorists and mobsters. (and yes, watch if there is a camera on the phone. It's some scary crap in reference to personal privacy).
    Over the next week or 2, check in with your contacts and just make sure that no one has receive any similar call to yours. If so, you might want to make a bigger deal out of it with AT&T, and even the FCC if it seems that many of your contacts have received either strange calls or text. The main problem is that if nothing really malicious was done, you might not get anywhere with anybody.

Also, if you know the date and time of the call, you should be able to go online to your account and see what number it was that called, or at least see reference to a call received from Unknown. That will help the phone company track down where it came from if they have the date and time.

4. david803sc

david803sc New Member

Hawk, calls like you are talking about usually show up on my phone as "blocked" in fact if I turn off my caller ID as you explain and I call a friend it shows up on their phone as "blocked" not unknown with that said I understand that some calls do show up as "unknown" my point was simply since I have had my iPhone that was the first call I ever received that showed "unknown" I have received calls with the "blocked" this tells me it was no one who has ever called me before, at least that is a good guess.

5. KNK

KNK New Member

I too have noticed the difference. But what I have noticed is the unknown is from a landline and the blocked is from a cell phone in particular the iPhone.

6. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Interesting. When I have Show my Caller ID turned off, I show up as unknown to my wife, and I have received a handful of Unknowns from NCO Financial Services. (they "claim" that I owe someone money, but my credit report is clean, so they can bite me.) But that is why I don't answer Unknown calls. I have seen Blocked before, but not as often as unknown.
    I have even gotten an unknown from the American Red Cross when they called to remind me of an upcoming blood drive.
    Maybe it's just the area I'm in.

That being said, it still doesn't explain how David's contacts were erased...

7. KNK

KNK New Member

About 6 or 7 weeks ago I would get an email that was completely blank, no subject, not to or from address. That turned out to be a something really bad and shut down 2 computers, and had to do a complete re-install.

Then I noticed that they came in on my iPhone, so I immediately delete it using the edit mode. Now my main computers get about one of these a week now. So everyone be careful of this spam.

8. mahler12x

mahler12x New Member

So, I dug up this old thread because something sorta similar has happened to me tonight... except mine came from a strange number with a D.C. area code

For several months I've gotten telemarketer calls on occasion. I pretty much just never answer my iPhone if it's a number outta my area. Well, one of the numbers that would call every couple weeks or so is (202) 805-3158, DC, USA. For whatever reason, maybe because it was calling later than usual, I just decided to pick it up this time.

When I said "hello," it was silent for about 3 seconds and then let off a series of beeps, some long, some short, but like a slow morse code, then paused, then hung up. When I pulled the phone away from my ear I looked at my wife and said, "whoa, that was weird," only to look down and see my phone was rebooting.

I was like, "holy crap, what's going on..." Well, when it finished rebooting, suddenly the phone started ringing again from the same number. I answered it, but no beeping this time. I hung up. But I then started getting chills when it rang again. I declined the call. Then it rang again. Then again, again, again, and again, and kept doing it for about 10 minutes and finally stopped after the 12th time.

Anyway, it didn't wipe my phone like the op here but it's strange nonetheless and kinda freaky. I mean, my phone rebooted after that damn morse code sounding thing. And I'm not much of a conspiracy nut or anything, but the fact it came from a DC area code is even freakier for some reason.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

9. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

It's spam. I looked it up on my number guru app & a lot said it was about a free cruise.

10. mahler12x

mahler12x New Member

Interesting, thanks for the reply. But what's up with the reboot? Was that just a total random coincidence? I mean, I've had a lotta those spam calls that start with a beep when you answer, followed by a recording, but this one had a weird morse code thing and hung up itself, following which, my phone rebooted.

I mean, maybe it's just a weird spam thing, but it's just too weird.

11. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Just an FYI... If you want to block your number there is no need to go through settings. Just dial *67 before the number you are dialing and it will appear to the recipient as though it is either BLOCKED/PRIVATE/UNKNOWN. This works on AT&T and I am quite certain it should work with other wireless carriers as well. If you have a land line, it should work too. I am not sure if it will work on VoIP lines. If the recipient has anonymous call rejection you will hear a recorded announcement that says the party you are calling does not accept private calls.

12. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I get text messages from telemarketers and sometimes Phone calls, besides even if the number shows up I will not answer it if it's not in my contacts list, unless they have called me before and I do recognize the number. I am however registered with the TPS which is supposed to stop unwanted calls getting through, but it doesn't work and I think Orange charge a fee to block these.

I have had an incident in the past where my contacts disappeared but came back after I connected to my pc. Strange. Anyway hope David gets this sorted.